Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just started viewing, and saw something cool last night

Options
  • 02-01-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just got a telescope over xmas (Skywatcher 130p dobsonian) and I was looking at the sky last night about 6pm. There was no clouds and I could see Jupiter clearly and about 5 of its moons. I could also make out colour and bands around the planet.

Then I moved the scope up and to the right at a cluster of stars. I dunno what this cluster is called. Anyway, as I was looking, a perfect white dot flew passed. I thought it was awesome, the fact that I saw something moving in space that could be millions of miles away. Although, the speed it flew passed, I'm thinkin it might have actually been a satellite. It didnt have a tail or anything, it was a perfect white dot, so thats why I'm thinkin it was a satellite. I had just saw the ISS about 15 mins before (with the naked eye! I couldnt manually track it), flying pretty much north, and this was moving left to right in my dobsonian, which is upside down and backwards so I think that means it was also flying north, except in a much more easterly direction.

Anyway, I figure I'll never find out what it was but it was still a pretty cool thing to see, after only being out about 3 of 4 times with the scope. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Likely a satellite. If you want to find out which one, try http://heavens-above.com/ or go to the time you were viewing in Stellarium and turn on satellites, you should see it pass.
    The_B_Man wrote: »
    Hi,

I just got a telescope over xmas (Skywatcher 130p dobsonian) and I was looking at the sky last night about 6pm. There was no clouds and I could see Jupiter clearly and about 5 of its moons. I could also make out colour and bands around the planet.

Then I moved the scope up and to the right at a cluster of stars. I dunno what this cluster is called. Anyway, as I was looking, a perfect white dot flew passed. I thought it was awesome, the fact that I saw something moving in space that could be millions of miles away. Although, the speed it flew passed, I'm thinkin it might have actually been a satellite. It didnt have a tail or anything, it was a perfect white dot, so thats why I'm thinkin it was a satellite. I had just saw the ISS about 15 mins before (with the naked eye! I couldnt manually track it), flying pretty much north, and this was moving left to right in my dobsonian, which is upside down and backwards so I think that means it was also flying north, except in a much more easterly direction.

Anyway, I figure I'll never find out what it was but it was still a pretty cool thing to see, after only being out about 3 of 4 times with the scope. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

The cluster of stars is the Pleiades, also known as M45 or The Seven Sisters. Yeah you should download stellarium, its a brilliant free software that shows you where everything is in the sky and you can zoom in on images of galaxies and nebula.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

You have to take a look at Orion.

Other software that is mind blowing is Universe sandbox, got it steam sale for less than 5 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Tomk1 wrote: »
    Other software that is mind blowing is Universe sandbox, got it steam sale for less than 5 euro.

Thanks, didnt know of it, looks great. Free version also avail:

http://universesandbox.com/download/

Advertisement