Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurolink Tolls fair increase

Options
  • 02-01-2013 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I drove through the N4 toll this morning and found they've jacked up their already extortionate prices again. It's now EUR2.90 for a car.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Use backroads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

silvine wrote: »
    I drove through the N4 toll this morning and found they've jacked up their already extortionate prices again. It's now EUR2.90 for a car.

Liar.

Clear to see from the pic attached that you're in a chopper/plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Use backroads?

I normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

silvine wrote: »

Fare enough.

In all seriousness though, where does this cash collected head to?

I've heard it said that the tolls paid don't go towards our govt, but a private company somewhere, does that mean that its not council/govt responsibility for the upkeep of toll charged roads?

€2.90 per toll, based on a five day working week would soon add up.
    What would be 'saved' by avoiding the toll would soon be lost via extra fuel needed to circumvent the toll booth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Use backroads?

Durty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Car wánkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Why has the N4 toll always been so much more expensive than any other toll in the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

TheBody wrote: »
    Why has the N4 toll always been so much more expensive than any other toll in the country?

Because you touch yourself at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Now takes about 2 hours to get from Dublin to Galway. Thats worth €2.90 (at least) IMO. Apart from the petrol saved, how much is your time worth?

If you don't think €2.90 is worth spending, you still have other options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Dodge wrote: »
    Now takes about 2 hours to get from Dublin to Galway. Thats worth €2.90 (at least) IMO. Apart from the petrol saved, how much is your time worth?

If you don't think €2.90 is worth spending, you still have other options

I'm actually a bit glad because now I don't need to worry about having 10 cent coins so only need euro, 50c and 20c. First world problems...

Caliden wrote: »
    I'm actually a bit glad because now I don't need to worry about having 10 cent coins so only need euro, 50c and 20c. First world problems...

Double joy!

Give them €3, hey pesto, 10c change!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Because you touch yourself at night.

Your lucky it's not €5 per trip so!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Pay them in 1 cent coins, drive slowly through the toll. Waste their time and you'll see change........ not just 10c change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Going through the toll saves me about 15 minutes. I'm travelling from Maynooth to Mullingar. It's not really worth EUR2.90. I'm not sure about the petrol savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I'd hate to be paying that twice a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

shedweller wrote: »
    I'd hate to be paying that twice a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks of the year!

mainly because it'd mean you'd have no days off though, yeah?

Ghandee wrote: »
    What would be 'saved' by avoiding the toll would soon be lost via extra fuel needed to circumvent the toll booth.

Not at all, you're driving slower on the old N4 so there's a saving there, if you keep it steady and just go with the flow you'l use even less fuel than you would doing 120 on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭pcardin

Liar.

Clear to see from the pic attached that you're in a chopper/plane.

Clear to see from the pic that even though the road is empty car is using right lane. So it is a sort of tradition here in Ireland. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

does that mean that its not council/govt responsibility for the upkeep of toll charged roads?

I think we pay part of the up keep, if the toll operator has a short fall in the turn over the tax payer foots that bill also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement