Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod Touch 5th Generation ?

Options
  • 02-01-2013 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm traveling to America this week and have been considering buying myself an ipod touch for awhile now.It works out cheaper to buy one in the apple shop in New York.
    I'm just wondering
    -will I have any problems buying one over there and bringing it home?
    -Is the ipod touch worth the price ? (will I have many problems with it or such?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !!
    Megs
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Apple products aren't really known for value for money, they're all quite highly priced for what you actually get. Doesn't stop my buying anything with an apple logo as its nice stuff and it just works.
    Dunno about iPod touch but how much would you have to add to get an iPad mini? Maybe a better option (although not as portable).
    If you bring it back you're supposed to declare it and pay vat when you enter the county...........
    It will work fine here if that's your question.
    Lastly do you use iTunes and have all your music on it, cause that's the only way to get music on any iOS device (or buying it from iTunes Store).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meg meg

Oh yes I am aware they are not known for value for money as I have purchased other products from them before !
    What would be the main difference with the ipad mini ??
    Yes sorry that was my main question - as in would it still work,they're not restricted to the country they're bought in!
    Yes I already have an itunes account as I currently have an ipod nano and just thought it was time to upgrade :)

Megs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Difference with iPad mini? Price and screen size. If you want it mainly for music then go for iPod. If you want to watch video, read iBooks, browse Internet the experience would be much better on iPad. Try them in store and see for yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meg meg

Thank you for the help.I will keep the ipad mini in mind and will just try them in store!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Portability is the main difference. The iPod you can put in a pocket. The iPad Mini isn't really pocketable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Lavibot

if you want a bargan i would go for the ipod touch 4 they are now way cheaper or you get more memory for the same price. i dont know the difference with the 4 and 5 but i love my touch 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Some apps run only on iPod touch and iPhone, or iPad and iPad mini.

I considered an iPad mini but you get more storage for your money with an iPod touch and the screen, while smaller, has better pixel density, so I went with an iPod touch instead. I have no problems watching videos on it. It's a little small for books but I can live with it.

I also believe Apple will update the iPad mini screen for the next generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Lavibot wrote: »
    if you want a bargan i would go for the ipod touch 4 they are now way cheaper or you get more memory for the same price. i dont know the difference with the 4 and 5 but i love my touch 4.

I have the iTouch G4 also and it runs iOS6 same as the G5 so it can run all the same apps as the G5. The principal difference is the 4" retina display and the device size, the G5 is longer and the back of it is dead flat vs the curved back on the earlier iTouch models. The longer display means that it can display five rows of app icons (vs. four on the G4).

http://www.apple.com/ie/ipod/compare-ipod-models/

I can put the iTouch G4 lying on it's side in an inside pocket of a jacket or coat, I haven't tried the G5 model but I suspect that being longer, it may only fit lying at 45 degrees instead of flat on it's side. Small difference but may be significant for some people.

The iPad Mini is still considerably more expensive than the iTouch. Looking at the 32GB model in each case and as the OP talked about the Apple store in NYC, I've added 8.875% NYC sales tax. This is how much you will pay in USD for each model...

iTouch G4 32GB $271
    iTouch G5 32GB $326
    iPad Mini 32GB $467

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

IS the g4 the same as the 4 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    IS the g4 the same as the 4 ?

I used the term 'G4' as shorthand for the iTouch 4th generation and to avoid confusion with 4G networks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

coylemj wrote: »
    I have the iTouch G4 also and it runs iOS6 same as the G5 so it can run all the same apps as the G5. The principal difference is the 4" retina display and the device size, the G5 is longer and the back of it is dead flat vs the curved back on the earlier iTouch models. The longer display means that it can display five rows of app icons (vs. four on the G4)....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Touch#Specifications

I would say another major difference is single core vs dual core.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I have ipod touch 5th Gen and there is not much difference in 4th Gen running wise.

But yes if you buy it state side it will work fine here, you are not restricted in that way

Advertisement