Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone giving up the drink for the new year?

Options
  • 02-01-2013 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I did.

I can't wait to feel well again. I won't bore people about how rough I'm feeling now, both mentally and physically, but I honestly don't remember much since the Friday before I finished work. I'm honestly finding it very hard to remember anything clear.
    I know there was one day over the holidays I didn't really drink, but even that is a haze.
    I smoked my brains out too. Pains on various parts of my body.
    I'm feeling absolutely warped and disturbed. I'm beyond tired also.
    I'm contemplating having a small drink of vodka to avoid the unreal alcohol withdrawal my body will go through tonight, but I won't let myself.
    I'm clutching to my knowledge of that in a few days I will feel good again:)

Good luck to all those giving up :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

it doesnt have to be this way anymore Teddy, it really doesnt!

Get outside help if you need to, maybe give AA a shot, just try to find a way to live without alcohol, the benefits are immense, so do whatever it takes.

Best of luck man!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Orchidgirl

Yep. I am with you. I vastly cut down the amount I drank over the last six months and kept it fairly quiet over the christmas. I have been thinking about cutting it out altogether for the past year and now is the time to do it. I am working on various fitness goals and can see the dips in my performance after a few drinks. Besides I am bored of the whole scene. There is so much more to life. It is not going to be easy, as most of my friends are heavy drinkers but it is something i really want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Was off it for a month in November and felt absolutely great. Had a bit of a blow out over Christmas but I suppose it was always in the plan.

Anyway, i'm off it again now from today and like yourself, looking forward to feeling the benefits. It really is a great feeling to get your mornings and weekends back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Podgemus

Know how you feel Teddy, Been thinking for ages would i be able to just give it up altogether, cut down a lot and did Oct and Nov without it but went a bit mad again at xmas, Short term goals first, i'm just going to get through January and use how gud i will feel as a motivator to keep going, Only 2 weeks off and already feeling better

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

yeah I am... but the boredom is getting to me! I am sleeping too much and generally feel woeful tired, is this the norm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Good luck to everyone who are trying,remember to get yourself a plan especially for the times when you were usually drinking,failing to plan is planing to fail :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DJfunny

I'm a compulsive gambler, and it all came to a head in sept.

Got my millionth last chance, and to be fair had it a little under control (wasn't going without but still gambling a bit)

Then on saturday night, got so drunk and blew the whole bank account. So yea, the drink (as an enabler) has to go.

How the hell am I going to do this? I'm not an alcoholic, i dont feel the need to imbibe copious drink, but i can and i do..so yea, I have decided to go without for a period of time, yet undefined. Hopefully, in 3 months, I can read this post without shame ;)

Advertisement