Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing audio in background.

Options
  • 01-01-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hey,

I just got a new laptop with Windows 8 today. I'm patient enough and am willing to give it a good while before I know the new OS and can fully appreciate it. That said, one thing is driving me mad. I use Sony Music Unlimited to stream music and generally I would have that browser window open in the background as I played games/used other software. However, I can't figure out how to simply have Chrome minimized but still playing sound in Windows 8.

I hope this is some silly and easy option I'm overlooking - anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭blackbox

W8 is new to me, but you should be able to run chrome from the desktop rather than the start screen.

When running from desktop it can be minimised - and you can re-open start screen if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

gawker wrote: »
    Hey,

I just got a new laptop with Windows 8 today.
    poor chap

i would say try opening as normal ( in metro or the normal desktop) and simple return to the strat screen tile heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Yeah just open from the Desktop (not from the tiles).

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Thanks. Audio plays in the background if you open from the old-style interface, but not the tiles. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Streaming music ???? Just click on the orange Music button on the metro interface and search for what you want to listen to, I was very surprised by the fact it had some very obscure stuff and streamed it for free with the same 30 second ad every half hour or less ;)

I use it so much I've not looked at spotify or groove shark or last fm since moving to windows 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gawker wrote: »
    Thanks. Audio plays in the background if you open from the old-style interface, but not the tiles. Weird.
    Tiles generally don't run in the background, but if their store app is configured correctly it should ask you for the option. the Music app installed already can run in the background, but honestly I don't listen to a load of music so I haven't played with these niggly issues much.

Advertisement