Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonlara

Options
  • 01-01-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am new to this forum but through searching Google boards seems to come up a lot with answers to questions so I hope someone out there can help me with my questions.....

Was looking at the houses that are for sale in Churchfields. Anyone on here in the estate? What are the houses like (warmth, basic condition of build). What is the estate like? Family friendly, undesirables, mainly owner occupied? Might seem like odd questions but read that some of the Limerick troublemakers have been spread across Clare.

Broadband, is it fast (or even available)? Currently with Vodafone and would be lost without good internet. Took a quick drive around Clonlara and could not pick up 3g on my phone!

Clonlara in general, what is it like as a community??? I spotted a pub there but is there more then one & local shop?

Traffic wise, driving into Limerick, is it a nightmare?

It is the value of the houses that is making me look there but I am not really familiar with the area. I know some people are probably pi**ed at the price of them after paying a small fortune on them but I totally understand as am also in that boat.

Thanks for taking the time to read and if anyone can answer the above I would be very grateful.

Feel free to PM if preferred.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Figerty

if you can hurl or talk hurling you will be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 user010113

:( that's a negative......

Can anyone give feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

This might help :)

dmc17 wrote: »
    This might help :)

Helpful folk ye lot ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's more to the GAA than just the games on the pitch. Clonlara have put a lot of work into setting up some great underage structures, there's a great sense of community there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Clonlara - the advantages

Proximity to Limerick

Good community spirit

Clonlara has a new Community Sports & Leisure Centre - it comprises of a gym, sports hall, handball alley and meeting rooms that look after the community sporting, recreation & leisure needs there is a large community centre there with creche facilities

Clonlara NS is a fine school

Clonlara GAA Club is a strong force is senior hurling and have a lot of talented underage player (according to Mr. D)

Landscape Golf Club (I'm not golfer so I'm not sure what it's like to play on)

Clonlara Equestrian Centre

Clonlara Trout Angling Centre

Clonlara - O'Briensbridge Looped Walk

Clonlara Underdog Theatre Group

The Falls of Doonass

Pubs in Clonlara - O'Shea's, Stritch's & The Angler's Rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Figerty

user010113 wrote: »
    :( that's a negative......

Can anyone give feedback?

Should be a positive! There is more to any parish than the GAA, but the GAA is central to the parish and it's identity.

You have a vibrant parish with active clubs at your disposal. If you are going to move into the area, then you should be able to involve yourself with the culture of the area. Otherwise what is the point? You could live in the city where you don't know your neighbours until one of them dies and them you wonder who they were.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Clonlara - the advantages

Proximity to Limerick

Good community spirit

Clonlara has a new Community Sports & Leisure Centre - it comprises of a gym, sports hall, handball alley and meeting rooms that look after the community sporting, recreation & leisure needs there is a large community centre there with creche facilities

Clonlara NS is a fine school

Clonlara GAA Club is a strong force is senior hurling and have a lot of talented underage player (according to Mr. D)

Landscape Golf Club (I'm not golfer so I'm not sure what it's like to play on)

Clonlara Equestrian Centre

Clonlara Trout Angling Centre

Clonlara - O'Briensbridge Looped Walk

Clonlara Underdog Theatre Group

The Falls of Doonass

Pubs in Clonlara - O'Shea's, Stritch's & The Angler's Rest.

Thanks a lot for that, loads of info there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

i have a few friends living in churchfields - they like it, seems to be a nice estate.
    what i dont get is that they are all from limerick and bought out there because during the boom it was a little cheaper!! they just live there they dont contribute in any way to the community, they dont go out there, kids dont go to school there....
    saying that its a nice spot with nice villages around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

. . . . What is the estate like? Family friendly, undesirables, mainly owner occupied? Might seem like odd questions but read that some of the Limerick troublemakers have been spread across Clare.

Traffic wise, driving into Limerick, is it a nightmare? . . . .
    alibride wrote: »
    . . . . what i dont get is that they are all from limerick and bought out there because during the boom it was a little cheaper!! they just live there they dont contribute in any way to the community, they dont go out there, kids dont go to school there. . . .
    That's an interesting observation alibride.

If that’s true with what you say, then why did the Clare County Council give planning permission for these 80 large detached / semi-detached houses in the first place?

Surely the size of this exclusive type of development was a bit of an overkill for the needs of Clonlara Village?

Where are the affordable housing units in this scheme for people on lower incomes?

It is no wonder that these houses where bought by Limerick people as the selling auctioneer GVM is based in the city centre.

In my opinion these satellite developments can be detrimental for the “Community Balance” of villages like Clonlara as they could just turn into a anonymous, commuter belt housing estate for Limerick City.

For the last fifty years or so, all these one-sided developments outside Limerick City have also undermined its “Social Balance” where the Clare and Limerick County Councils exclusively granted planning permission for thousands of private housing only, thus filtering families on the basis of their incomes as to where they live.

Limerick's social problems didn’t happen by accident!

Having said that Clonlara seems to be a nice place to live.

• Advertisement

Was looking at the houses that are for sale in Churchfields.

It is the value of the houses that is making me look there but I am not really familiar with the area. I know some people are probably pi**ed at the price of them after paying a small fortune on them but I totally understand as am also in that boat.
    In this week’s Limerick Post, there is an article regarding the Churchfields development.

A court order has been served on the developer (NAMA) dealing with unfinished issues like no public lighting or protruding manhole covers 3 inches above the road surface.

The semi-detached houses were originally sold for €300,000 but can be bought today for €120,000.

That’s a pretty shocking state of affairs! :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In this week’s Limerick Post, there is an article regarding the Churchfields development.

A court order has been served on the developer (NAMA) dealing with unfinished issues like no public lighting or protruding manhole covers 3 inches above the road surface.

The semi-detached houses were originally sold for €300,000 but can be bought today for €120,000.

That’s a pretty shocking state of affairs! :(

Thanks for the pdf, I've been wanting to get a nice burger for ages and the discount voucher there the perfect excuse :)

Clareman wrote: »
    Thanks for the pdf, I've been wanting to get a nice burger for ages and the discount voucher there the perfect excuse :)

Bon appétit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Live in the area.

Excellent primary school
    Traffic not that bad,i can get beyond city centre from home in about 30mins every morning.
    Good community spirit built mainly around the GAA to be honest.
    2 good pubs in the village itself.
    1 shop Very basic so lets just say you wont be doing the weekly shopping there!
    Churchfields Dont live in there but would think its very family friendly with mainly working couples/families there.A number of the houses are unoccupied but are finished outside so no ugly eyesores
    Broadband is pretty good.Wouldn't be a techie but know out internet is pretty fast.
    A couple of bus runs into the city but don't know the exact times.
    Serviced by all taxis without any grief about it being too far out.

Advertisement