Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charities which collect mobile phones

Options
  • 01-01-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Apologies if I've the wrong forum (mods feel free to move) but I've a big stash of old mobile phones here and I know some Irish charities collect them for fund-raising. Problem is I don't know which ones.... anybody here know which ones would be interested and I'll drop them off to them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

The Jack and Jill foundation collects mobile phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The Jack & Jill foundation is one that comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

I know the Jack & Jill Foundation currently collect them

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Great, thanks for quick response. I'll give them a shout in the morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I think Irish Autism do to, we are collecting them at the moment for my son, you get an ipad with special software to help him communicate and other educational apps in exchange for 220 phones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

OP details for recycling mobile phones with the Jack and Jill foundation. Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

it hasnt been mentioned yet on the thread so ill the jack and jill foundation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

The jack and Jill foundation, don't know if any one has mentioned it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

The Jack and Jill Foundation is another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

The first three people that posted the Jack and Jill Foundation, all posted within 60 seconds of each other Smartarses.

ie. Its likely no one else had posted by the time they started composing their posts.

Don't get me wrong, theres nothing I hate more than people not reading other posts in a thread before replying with an answer given 20 times already in a thread. This isn't one of those times though.

There are other options though OP. For instance, the Irish Autism Assosciation are also collecting phones at the moment. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

what do they do with the old phones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I'm not sure, but i think the jack and Jill foundation might be interested. That or the Wi Suc So foundation on Henry St. They help deprived immigrants trapped in the used mobile phone trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Jack & Jill foundation collect them I think OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Why do sick kids need phones anyway? They'd want to get their priorities in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

what do they do with the old phones?

Bring them up a hill to fetch a pail of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Calibos wrote: »
    There are other options though OP. For instance, the Irish Autism Assosciation are also collecting phones at the moment. ;)

Also a very good charity, I think your the first to mention it;)

Why do sick kids need phones anyway? They'd want to get their priorities in order.

Isnt it great when you read an attempt at humour like this and by no one thanking it the poster might, just might, think to themselves that maybe they are just not funny?

OP. Some worthwhile charities already mentioned. I know some schools collect them for Interactive whiteboards and other IT equipment.

There is also a child in a friend's son's class who collects them for his sister who has learning difficulties and Jack and Jill exchanged phones for an ipad to assist her in school.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If any are still working then do a factory reset and sell on adverts.ie and donate the money

depends on the phone but some people just want an old reliable Nokia candy bar with a battery that lasts all week

I'm not sure if the charities do anything other than recycle them for raw materials (per kg) or let middlemen resell them for profit

Advertisement