Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you live your Life Differently if....

Options
  • 01-01-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

You knew from birth you had a definative number of years to live.

Like the film 'In Time' they have a set number of years and then the clock starts ticking, but they have to buy time, and it's a currency.

I'm thinking more like you retire at 70, Permanently, you have a party or something and then go away and be put to eternal sleep. Or if you are convicted of crimes etc you could have time knocked off your life, which of course could be sold etc...but then it's more like the plot of the film.

My life is ok, I've had probably had it rougher than most and could have done better, that said, at 35 I can still go back to college, travel or do something more significant than I already am.I'm relatively happy. If I knew that I had 35 years for definate, with the exception of the reality we could all die accidently everyday,I'm not sure I'd be motivated to do anything other than what I'm doing now.

I have asked this of some people lately and thay all said, for sure they would live differntly, some said they would leave thier partners, thier jobs, travel etc, but for would definately stop putting things off and live more for the moment and enjoy life more. Regardless of the impact on others.

Do you think it would effect your course in life....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Like the film 'In Time' they have a set number of years and then the clock starts ticking, but they have to buy time, and it's a currency.

I'm thinking more like you retire at 70, Permanently, you have a party or something and then go away and be put to eternal sleep. Or if you are convicted of crimes etc you could have time knocked off your life, which of course could be sold etc...but then it's more like the plot of the film.

My life is ok, I've had probably had it rougher than most and could have done better, that said, at 35 I can still go back to college, travel or do something more significant than I already am.I'm relatively happy. If I knew that I had 35 years for definate, with the exception of the reality we could all die accidently everyday,I'm not sure I'd be motivated to do anything other than what I'm doing now.

I have asked this of some people lately and thay all said, for sure they would live differntly, some said they would leave thier partners, thier jobs, travel etc, but for would definately stop putting things off and live more for the moment and enjoy life more. Regardless of the impact on others.

Do you think it would effect your course in life....
    Here's the news. You do. Somwhere from 1-70 on average. Which is not forever. Go for it, it's short and not a dress rehersal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

nah, although I would go on some mad crime/drug spree in the last few weeks before my deathday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

If I knew I was going to die in x amount of years I'd say I would do something meaningful with my life but I'd probably just try the vast array of narcotics on offer that I would otherwise be too scared to take.

tldr; Coke and hookers.

That film was crap.

If I knew that this day next year would definitely be my last on this earth, then yeh, I wouldn't be sitting here on boards, I wouldn't work, I would be off travelling, seeing the things I want to see and spending more time with the ones that make me happy. And I'm all for living today as if it's your last, but let's be honest here - I need my job, I need a roof over my head, I need food etc - so I can't actually live today as if it were my last, but if I had a time limit, that would be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

phasers wrote: »
    nah, although I would go on some mad crime/drug spree in the last few weeks before my deathday

Nice to know. Please let us know if you will be suffering from a terminal illness. I will avoid your kill spree area.:pac:

I think it takes constant reminding that this is the only life that you get. I'm 29, have lived 10.5 thousand days already and don't know when I will die.

It's very easy to be complacent and put off doing something that you really want to do because you can't muster enthusiasm or you're busy with day to day things, but all of that can be knocked into perspective if you know you have only a year to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

OP in fairness you say you wouldnt do anything differently. If you knew the date you were gona die say in 8-12 months. do you really think you would continue do the normal things you do every day until then? If yes then you must have lived a very fulfilling life and done everything you ever wanted to do. Surly there must be something you want but never had the chance to do before. As for me i guess i would travel and maybe experiment with the illegal side of things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If I knew this day next year was gonna be my last then I can tell you one thing for nothing.....I wouldn't be doing any ante post bets for Cheltenham 2014 anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What?!!!
    No one told me
    This is bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iFergal

Well I guess it would mean you could take what would be any life-threatening risks knowing you won't die. Otherwise, wouldn't change much besides before my death year, unless I were to live to be very young - then it'd change everything, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Pottler wrote: »
    Here's the news. You do. Somwhere from 1-70 on average. Which is not forever. Go for it, it's short and not a dress rehersal.

Can I still wear a dress, though?

• Advertisement

iFergal wrote: »
    Well I guess it would mean you could take what would be any life-threatening risks knowing you won't die. Otherwise, wouldn't change much besides before my death year, unless I were to live to be very young - then it'd change everything, lol.

You could still end up severely disabled/comatose from these life threatening risks and then die on your death day!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Eeep eeeep eeeep - according to that I have only four years to go, and I still have loads of stuff to do! :eek:

looksee wrote: »
    Eeep eeeep eeeep - according to that I have only four years to go, and I still have loads of stuff to do! :eek:

According to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I would just alter my birth cert and live forever, without the need to live on human blood, that would fook their shiit up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Could you live forever if you kept getting heart, lung, kidney and liver transplants from much younger donors?

Could you live forever if you kept getting heart, lung, kidney and liver transplants from much younger donors?

Yes if you hand pick them.

what about your skin? the skin is the biggest organ (giggity) in the body and id imagine you'd need to change that that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Live everyday like its your last and someday, very soon, it will be.

Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

I hate to speculate on what I would do on anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Access Denied

OP in fairness you say you wouldnt do anything differently. If you knew the date you were gona die say in 8-12 months. do you really think you would continue do the normal things you do every day until then? If yes then you must have lived a very fulfilling life and done everything you ever wanted to do. Surly there must be something you want but never had the chance to do before. As for me i guess i would travel and maybe experiment with the illegal side of things :)

Ya if I had an illness and knew I was going to die in a few months then certainly I would do some stuff.

But I'm taking about knowing from a young age that you have a certain amount of years, lets bring the 'retirement age' down to say 50, would you waste a minute in a relationship that's not fullfilling, a job that's boring or worrying about looks and superficial stuff.

If I knew from a young age that 50 was it, I'd sure as hell have lived my life differently.

Would we be better as people if we had less time to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

i would ride all the women i could get, cos lets face it, u cant pay maintainence from the grave ;)

Ya if I had an illness and knew I was going to die in a few months then certainly I would do some stuff.

But I'm taking about knowing from a young age that you have a certain amount of years, lets bring the 'retirement age' down to say 50, would you waste a minute in a relationship that's not fullfilling, a job that's boring or worrying about looks and superficial stuff.

If I knew from a young age that 50 was it, I'd sure as hell have lived my life differently.

Would we be better as people if we had less time to live?

Hmmmm so at 50 years old that would be it. i suppose one person cant really talk for x amout of people because everybody is different in the world. The thing is you might know you have 50 years to live but you still don't know what life has instore for you. i mean how do you know a relationship isnt meaningful untill your actually in it, how do you know a job is actually boring untill you actually try it etc. you would waste time by trying these out anyway. I reckon it would make some people really reckless tho, you know the kind of ah sher i only have a couple of years left in my life, ill rob a bank now or murder a few people or other things like that. I guess if it boils down to it, it can be a very dangerous thing for some people to know. But not everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

There's three different degenerative diseases that have appeared on both my parents sides in recent years , each if I get them could cause an early death .....so myself, my brothers and cousins tend not to take life too serious , that said I don't behave too irresponsibily .

Though on occasion my mortgage provider has walked away laughing after me telling them not to be worrying.

hadepsx wrote: »
    i would ride all the women i could get, cos lets face it, u cant pay maintainence from the grave ;)

How many do you reckon you could get? because, you know - you could do that anyway - there's these things called condoms, you might have heard of them.

How many do you reckon you could get? because, you know - you could do that anyway - there's these things called condoms, you might have heard of them.

bout 3( fiddy);), just sayin:D
    plus aint the same with the rubbers on, like op said, you're given a time of death, so why be responsible

So, 3.50?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

plus aint the same with the rubbers on

It won't be the same with the cream on a few days later

So, 3.50?
    yeah 3, and a midget

• Advertisement

Which reminds me of a poem I just read on the Literature forum, by the recently deceased Dennis O'Driscoll

Someone

someone is dressing up for death today, a change of skirt or tie
    eating a final feast of buttered sliced pan, tea
    scarcely having noticed the erection that was his last
    shaving his face to marble for the icy laying out
    spraying with deodorant her coarse armpit grass
    someone today is leaving home on business
    saluting, terminally, the neighbours who will join in the cortege
    someone is paring his nails for the last time, a precious moment
    someone’s waist will not be marked with elastic in the future
    someone is putting out milkbottles for a day that will not come
    someone’s fresh breath is about to be taken clean away
    someone is writing a cheque that will be rejected as ‘drawer deceased’
    someone is circling posthumous dates on a calendar
    someone is listening to an irrelevant weather forecast
    someone is making rash promises to friends
    someone’s coffin is being sanded, laminated, shined
    who feels this morning quite as well as ever
    someone if asked would find nothing remarkable in today’s date
    perfume and goodbyes her final will and testament
    someone today is seeing the world for the last time
    as innocently as he had seen it first

http://dennisodriscoll.com/

Most of our last days will be marked by ordinary mundane events. The thought of that gave me goosebumps.

Advertisement