Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployed or Self-Employed ?

Options
  • 01-01-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello
    I am a 52 year old, single man living in my own house and have been unemployed since 2006. I am available for, and actively seeking, work, and registered as such with the Department of Social Protection. I receive no job-seeker's allowance from the department, being disqualified due to the extent of my savings (a six figure sum). I am living off the capital of those savings, the interest they generate and the very occasional capital gain I make. Most of my money (93%) is in bank deposits with the rest being in shares (4%) and investment funds (3%).

Despite the fact that I do no work, have no business, provide no goods or services, receive no wage, etc, the Revenue Commissioners class me as "self-employed" and tax me as such. This implies that I and every unemployed person forced to live off our nest-eggs is self-employed, which seems ridiculous. Do I have grounds to appeal their classification of me?

Thanks for any help

Trapapony
    Tagged:

Advertisement