Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people (generally) dislike non drinkers even if...

Options
  • 01-01-2013 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

a) You can hold a conversation sober
    b) You don't judge or look down on drinkers
    c) Don't look miserable or bored in the pub

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

You're mixing with the wrong people.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

solas111 wrote: »
    You're mixing with the wrong people.

I mean acquaintances. I've picked my friends well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I'm a drinker and I have no issues with whether anyone drinks or doesn't drink-each to their own!!
    However I do have an issue with someone who tells you what an a$$ you made of yourself the night before....doesn't really apply to me anymore since I had children-I live a relatively tame(r) life now!

But I suppose I hark back to a particular non-drinker guy I used to work with who would come on nights out but then the next day say things like "you made SUCH an a$$ of yourself last night" and when you would ask what he is taking about he would say "oh I couldnt possibly say". I used to get paranoid around him and feel he was watching everyone and judging. I finally realised what an egit he was after a night out when I had been drinking only lucozade and he tried to make out like I'd made a disgrace of myself.(not that I ever did by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I'm a drinker and I have no issues with whether anyone drinks or doesn't drink-each to their own!!
    However I do have an issue with someone who tells you what an a$$ you made of yourself the night before....doesn't really apply to me anymore since I had children-I live a relatively tame(r) life now!

But I suppose I hark back to a particular non-drinker guy I used to work with who would come on nights out but then the next day say things like "you made SUCH an a$$ of yourself last night" and when you would ask what he is taking about he would say "oh I couldnt possibly say". I used to get paranoid around him and feel he was watching everyone and judging. I finally realised what an egit he was after a night out when I had been drinking only lucozade and he tried to make out like I'd made a disgrace of myself.(not that I ever did by the way)

I've met this person, several times, sometimes they've been the drunkest person there but they still play the high and mighty, it's only when you're sober you realise what patronising barstewards they can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Life is too short to spend it hanging around people you don't actually like. I get on with most people, I dislike very few people, but people I do not like or I don't have time for, I don't pretend or act. Doesn't matter whether they drink or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Godot. wrote: »
    a) You can hold a conversation sober
    b) You don't judge or look down on drinkers
    c) Don't look miserable or bored in the pub

:confused:

We do have a drinking culture in this country, it's not always something to worry about but obviously sometimes it can be excessive sometimes, it can also be a lifestyle that young people are drawn into without realising the risks. If you don't want to drink, don't drink. I'm not being nasty but if this lifestyle or this group of freinds is not for you, then don't go out with them. Make it clear to them that you want to remain friends but it won't be in a drinking evironment.

Cedrus wrote: »
    We do have a drinking culture in this country, it's not always something to worry about but obviously sometimes it can be excessive sometimes, it can also be a lifestyle that young people are drawn into without realising the risks. If you don't want to drink, don't drink. I'm not being nasty but if this lifestyle or this group of freinds is not for you, then don't go out with them. Make it clear to them that you want to remain friends but it won't be in a drinking evironment.

I just don't understand the mentality behind their arseiness?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

After seeing a certain person tonight, i vow never to drink again

I’m not so sure that people generally dislike non-drinkers. Most people are too busy drinking or doing something else to be bothered about whether you drink or not. It may be that the non-drinker is feeling out of place and imagines that people don’t like him or her.

As the drinking progresses and alcohol starts to interfere with people’s thinking they are liable to talk a lot of baloney and say things that they would not say when they are sober. Maybe it is then that you get the perception that people don’t like non-drinkers. That is usually a good time to depart for home, unless you actually enjoy the drunken circus.

The few who may genuinely dislike non-drinkers possibly do so because they are not at ease with their own drinking and feel somehow threatened. Maybe the non-drinker reminds them too much about something in their own drinking that they would rather not think about.

The trick is to be at ease with the person you are. Then, other people’s opinions or comments won’t bother you. They have a right to their opinions but if you are happy with who you are you can accept other people as they are too and get on with your own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ashleyrush

im a teenager 16 AND dnt drink ... everyone in my year in school practically drinks and i feel im excluded and not invited places because i dont drink.. it feels awful i feel isolated and lonely ... like noone invites me anywhere...

• Advertisement

Ashleyrush wrote: »
    im a teenager 16 AND dnt drink ... everyone in my year in school practically drinks and i feel im excluded and not invited places because i dont drink.. it feels awful i feel isolated and lonely ... like noone invites me anywhere...

Pretend you drink to get invited and then drink feck all. :)

Fair play to you for thinking for yourself. A lot of people follow the crowd like sheep crossing the road and do what they see someone else doing regardless of whether it is right or wrong.

I can see how you may feel isolated and left out of things but starting to drink would not be the best way to fix that. Work on become more self-confident and assertive by doing things that are challenging and take you out of your comfort zone. Then the invites will take care of themselves.

Unfortunately, many of your drinking friends are headed for serious trouble a bit down the road because of alcohol problems. You can choose not to be one of those statistics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As someone who went through the same, I can relate and sympathise.

I do have to ask though; given the legal drinking age is 18, why is it so socially acceptable that 16 year olds are getting drunk so easily? Why even have the law if we just ignore it...

Advertisement