Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re appointments at UCHG

Options
  • 31-12-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

I am currently 9 weeks pregnant and will be going for combined care with UCH Galway. This is my second baby, and I know from experience that UCH Galway won't see me till around 20 weeks.

With my first pregnancy I had really bad SPD hip pain in the final few months and seen the physiotherapist. (I'm still unconvinced it helped to be honest, but anyway...) The pregnancy was fine in every other way except for the SPD.

My hips are starting to flare up already and I'm really worried that I am going to be crippled by 6 months at this rate. However, when I seen my GP 2 weeks ago she said that while she would send the hospital a letter to ask for a referral to the physio, they probably wouldn't act on it and I would have to wait for the midwifes/consultant to refer me, who I won't see until 20weeks ish.

I am really concerned about this, my hips are really starting to bother me already and if I wait for a physio referral at 20ish weeks I fear I will be in real trouble.

Going private isn't an option at all, so has anyone any suggestions as to how to either see the midwives earlier or get a referral to the physio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I don't know about getting a physio appointment sooner, but the reason you are probably experiencing some discomfort is that your hips are becoming unstable as your muscles relax.

I spent about 50 Euro on a spportinve belt on my first pregnany from a physio which worked a treat. I'm sure if you cantacted a private physio, they would be able to help you. I'm sure you could find one cheaper on the internet either.

If I can find mine I will post the make etc...

Hope this helps and congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sah

Little My wrote: »
    I am currently 9 weeks pregnant and will be going for combined care with UCH Galway. This is my second baby, and I know from experience that UCH Galway won't see me till around 20 weeks.

With my first pregnancy I had really bad SPD hip pain in the final few months and seen the physiotherapist. (I'm still unconvinced it helped to be honest, but anyway...) The pregnancy was fine in every other way except for the SPD.

My hips are starting to flare up already and I'm really worried that I am going to be crippled by 6 months at this rate. However, when I seen my GP 2 weeks ago she said that while she would send the hospital a letter to ask for a referral to the physio, they probably wouldn't act on it and I would have to wait for the midwifes/consultant to refer me, who I won't see until 20weeks ish.

I am really concerned about this, my hips are really starting to bother me already and if I wait for a physio referral at 20ish weeks I fear I will be in real trouble.

Going private isn't an option at all, so has anyone any suggestions as to how to either see the midwives earlier or get a referral to the physio?
    U should b seen at around 16 weeks in uchg now they have change the way they do appointments in there n u get seen by cons first then u get a date for scan for about 4 weeks later. I know its still a bit of s wait but not as long as before!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Thanks for the info. I was given a support belt by the physio in my first pregnancy - thanks for reminding be about it, I will have to dig it out.

Its good to know I'll get an appointment a little earlier, but from the way I am feeling now I still think if I wait another 7 or 8 weeks my hips will be in pretty bad shape. I just don't know what to do... is it a matter of simply going to my gp every week and begging for an earlier appointment or referral?

It's very frustrating, I have heard from friends that they invented falls or pains to get an early scan. I don't want to lie to anyone, I'm pretty sure the actual pregnancy is grand, but my hips are a real issue. I don't want to end up in a wheelchair at 6 months just because the hospital can't process a referral from a GP!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Maybe ring the epu in the maternity department and explain the situation to them. i suffered from spd in both pregnancies. it started earlier and was more severe in my second pregnancy. i was private so my gyne referred me to physio in galway and i found it brilliant. the belts didn't work for me. i also had sciatica. Congrats on your pregnancy. good luck.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Maybe ring the epu in the maternity department and explain the situation to them. i suffered from spd in both pregnancies. it started earlier and was more severe in my second pregnancy. i was private so my gyne referred me to physio in galway and i found it brilliant. the belts didn't work for me. i also had sciatica. Congrats on your pregnancy. good luck.

Dont bother ringing them. They really fobbed me off when I wanted to be checked out at 9 weeks because we found out via private scan that I had a missed miscarriage of a twin. I was basically told by whoever answered not to come in as it was a waste of time. All I wanted was an obstretician to check the remaining twin out and make sure all was ok. I was in bits emotionally and panicked about losing the other baby and she still refused to make an appointment for me.

I went to my GP who wrote a referral letter. When I got a call from the consultants secretary she asked me why I didnt go into the EPU and was horrified when I relayed the above to her. She told me just to arrive in and they cant refuse to see you - once I was in the system and getting regular checks, several midwives told me the same thing, so I'll say the same to you - just go straight into them, say you are in pain. (which is the truth) let them check you out and refer you to physio that way.

I have to say that once my appointment happened and I was in the system, the staff there were excellent, my maternity care as a public patient was thorough right up to my 6 week checkups after an emergency C-section and baby's 48hr stint in NICU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Neyite wrote: »
    Dont bother ringing them.... I was in bits emotionally and panicked about losing the other baby and she still refused to make an appointment for me.

That's awful! They really should have dealt with you better than that!

I am going to have to go into them or keep going back to my GP or something... I'm no doctor or physio but I know that its bad already (given that I'm still less than 12 weeks) and it will only get worse.

When reading up on SPD the last time there are a lot of horror stories, and I won't manage on crutches or in a wheelchair with a toddler and no car. I have no family around here to help and my partner works, so it is up to me. So I need to get this addressed before it gets too painful.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I went in a couple of times to get a pain checked out after that and it was absolutely fine - they scanned and checked me out fully, so don't hesitate to walk right in off the street.

Advertisement