Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To isofix or not??

Options
  • 31-12-2012 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of feedback.

We have the maxi cosi cabrio fix car seat and still undecided weather we are to get the isofix base.

If we were we would get the family fix one so that it would do us up to 3yrs.

What are everyone's view on it?? Any recommendations? Feedback??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm not familiar with the maxi cosi cabrio fix - does it use the seatbelt or snap in/out?

We tried our car seat with just the straps for a day or two, pretty awkward whereas the isofix it's a snap in/out and very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Definately get Isofix!

Not only is it so easy, but it is also safer than using the seatbelt.

We used Isofix and loved it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

All 3 of our seats have isofix and it makes life so much easier and you always know that the seat is in correctly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Same here Isofix all the way. Its way safer then seat belt as the car seat is bolted to the car and will not move. I got it and I am very happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

The cabriofix just clicks in and out of the isofix base.

The familyfix baseis only slightly dearer and lastsnfor around 3yrs so that is probthe best investment.

My OH reckons we should go for it.

Ivplan to put baby into pram when out and about but im sure il still be using the cae seat as well and therefore just clicking in and out wil be quicker and easier than seat belt.

Only thing is that it means i have to get the maxi cosi pearl as our next car seat. Ive had a quick look on line about it and it seems to be ok?
    I

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Isofix all the way. We didn't go for the family fix as we didn't like the next model, but had the first one. We got two bases at the time, one for each vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Isofix!
    We have cabriofix and love the isofix!! Getting diff second seat so not the pearl but have another one arriving in may so the cabriofix won't have time to get cold :p
    Love that she could in theory stay asleep while stransferring from car to buggy - in reality she's a little madam and woke every time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I wouldn't bother with getting the family one. The point of the Isofix for the first car seat is that you will be continually taking the car seat in and out of the car, especially if you have a travel system.

When you move on to the next car seat, it is unlikely that you will be taking it in and out of the car, so once it is fitted correctly, thats it. You will always get it fitted correctly where you buy your car seat so its not something you have to worry about. It means that you are not restricted to which car seat you get too.

We had the Maxi Cosi Axxis as our next car seat (not isofix) and although we found it brilliant, we still had to invest in another car seat when our little lady was 2.5yrs old as she was too tall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I was listening to a couple who came in to buy the pearl in tony Kealys last week. I think that by the time you pay extra for the family fix base and then a bit extra for the pearl, the 'saving' is a bit if a false economy. Also, you are limiting yourself to the one carseat next time around when you might want to choose something else. Maybe go to a good baby shop and have a chat with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I agree with crazy cat lady (never thought I'd say that!)
    We got the isofix and every time we take it in or out we always say "thank god we got that isofix"!
    But now the baby is older we're getting a new seat but won't get a base. It's handy when they're young and you have a travel system, or you're just carrying the seat in with the sleeping baby in it.
    You can always put it on adverts when you're finished with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Our 1st car seat(maxi cosi) has a separate base the other ones have isofix build in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Get the isofix base, it makes it so easy getting the seat in and out of the car. I got the family fix base, but IMO it's a waste, there is limited choice of next stage seats that fit into it. We ended up getting a stage two seat that didn't need the base.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Caramelbarrel

Is Graco Junior an Isofix?? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

On the recommendation to sell it on, its advised not to use second hand car seats or bases unless you know the exact history of use. We'll be putting the new arrival in the Cabriofix and moving our baby into the next stage when it comes, but we know we've not had a child heavier than the recommended weight in it, that it hasn't been used by anyone else putting a heavier child into it, that its never been in a crash, that it hasn't been damaged, same with the base. I'd be very wary of buying either second hand, given how essential a piece of safety it they are. Fair enough if you know a family member only used it for a bit, but not a chance I'd risk one I had no idea how much it had been used and for how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

I use the easybase for the maxi cosi. I wouldn't be without the base.

Advertisement