Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa v New Zealand and Pakistan thread

Options
  • 31-12-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭

So the World number one test team have back to back home series against these two. So far South Africa have won the 20/20 series 2-1, and now its time for the tests tomorrow.

New Zealand look like lambs to the slaughter on paper, but they do have some dangerous fast bowlers themselves and Guptil and Mc Cullum are capable of big scores. Despite that you would expect South Africa to win both tests comfortably.
    After the tests its an ODI series and then we get Pakistan outside of the sub continent for the first time in years, should be a fun time for Saffers.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You would hope South Africa would be too strong, but they are very hit and miss at home...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Football Gambler

SA beat Sri Lanka 2-1 in the Test series this time last year, and in November 2011 they drew a 2 match series 1-1 with Australia, so they haven't exactly had a formidable recent home record. But since then they've not done too bad on the road (bit of an understatement), with a convincing series win in England, and a decent series win in Australia.

They have been a bit flaky at home in the two series I mentioned above, but I believe that was a different team - mentally - to the current one. They must be flying at the moment and believe they can beat anyone, home or away. Can't see them having any problem beating New Zealand over 2 Tests. They are 1/6 to win the series, and 8/13 to win it 2-0, so the bookies don't see any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Without their best batsman Taylor , NZ stand no chance against SA

Pakistan have a good bowling unit and they should cause SA some problems....but , like all subcontinental sides , it will be their batting that will let them down when it comes to the crunch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

New Zealand really are useless. Just put match on to check score to see the 6th wicket to fall for 28 runs. They've only been playing an hour! 2 day test on the cards?

Edit: Philander 5 wickets for 5 runs from 5 overs. Nice.

Philander, 5 wicket haul in 25 balls...

I'm increasingly confident of a win here...in fairness NZ have lost Taylor, Vettori, Ryder and Southee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Well, that was amusing. I wonder what kind score the Proteas will set NZ. NZ aren't going to get more than 150 in the second innings without a miracle. SA to declare on 300 early tomorrow morning? Anymore would just be cruel.

Kallis gets his 13,000th run and Steyn gets his 300th wicket. 250odd/3 at close of play..

Philander's figures: 6-3-7-5. He averages 9.73 in Cape Town:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Bit more fight from New Zealand today, but its a little to late sadly.

One slight area of concern for South Africa looks to be the number 7, Elgar after his pair, looked very mediocre today while Rudolph is someone who has squandered numerous opportunities before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

NZ getting reamed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Franklin's been around for as long as I can remember but that was his most important innings for New Zealand!

Some of these low scoring thrillers are great to watch....sets the series up nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yep good result for New Zealand and I do live low scoring momentum shifting ODIs as well, good fun to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

booth70 wrote: »
    Without their best batsman Taylor , NZ stand no chance against SA

Pakistan have a good bowling unit and they should cause SA some problems....but , like all subcontinental sides , it will be their batting that will let them down when it comes to the crunch

How true Booth. At close of play yesterday, I thought 253 was about 50 runs too short of a competative 1st innings.

HOWEVER...........41/9 in reply? Can see a follow-on here, Test over by COP today??

Or before 15h30 when the game kick's off in Cardiff;)

Well....49 all out. Steyn, 6 for 8 off 8.1 overs. What a bowling machine!!!

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    How true Booth. At close of play yesterday, I thought 253 was about 50 runs too short of a competative 1st innings.

HOWEVER...........41/9 in reply? Can see a follow-on here, Test over by COP today??

Or before 15h30 when the game kick's off in Cardiff;)

I am of course referring to South African time above.

Pak chasing 480, 183/4..you never know..

Just about sneaked over the line today, 12 series and 4 years since a series defeat for SA according to Cricinfo

dfx- wrote: »
    Just about sneaked over the line today, 12 series and 4 years since a series defeat for SA according to Cricinfo

I know I am a bit biased here when saying this, but what the hell:

For me, this was an excellent Test win. Pakistan are a good side, their spinner was superb, and Pakistans only slip up ( IMHO) is that they didn't have another spinner in the side.

Any team bowling 5th on that strip and had a Warnie, Murali in their side, one would have put money on them.

All-in-all, excellent performance, and deservedly #1 in the rankings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Any team bowling 5th

Eh? Unusual match, was it? :D

TrueDub wrote: »
    Eh? Unusual match, was it? :D

Apologies, that should have been 4th....my typing error:o

334 runs in a day of Test match cricket...Good RR. Wonder will this Test see a 5th day?

• Advertisement

So much for wishful thinking, didn't even see a 4th day.

The CSA must be demurring over this, losing 7 days in 5 tests this summer.

Advertisement