Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi Colt

Options
  • 31-12-2012 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Anyone have experience with a Mitsubishi Colt, are they reliable? Im thinking of buying a 1.3L '98 model that Ive come across relatively cheap as my 1st car
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

They're a favorite for boy racers so be careful who you buy from. Mitsubishi's are a good make and are well made but if a boy racer has gotten hold of it first make sure you check its history out well. They made the Zero fighter from World war II which performed quite well in battle so they're well screwed together and have been around a few years.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

very dull on the inside but pretty reliable. sound idea for a first car i'd say. any link to the advert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Theyre pretty reliable, as good imo as any small jap hatch of the era,

Sound pretty cool with an aftermarket air filter too, if you're that way inclined,

Id say first time insurance might be a little steep on them, with so many 'mivec's in hiding' knocking about.

Plus 1.3 may be a little too much for the insurance company to play ball with...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Anyone have experience with a Mitsubishi Colt, are they reliable? Im thinking of buying a 1.3L '98 model that Ive come across relatively cheap as my 1st car
    Hard to get a standard one now
    Young lads have ruined them with stupid 17 inch alloys Lexus lights and exhaust that I only assume came off a impreza
    If you see one around bog standard with NCT and had a original owner from new take it
    It'd be well looked after
    I had a cyborg colt 1.6 mivec for a loan off my mate
    Was standard except for the 4 branch and speed was ridiculous but well looked after nothing extra he still has it do there are some decent ones still out there and very reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How reliable any nearly 15 year old car is depends on how it was looked after and maintained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Hard to get a standard one now
    Young lads have ruined them with stupid 17 inch alloys Lexus lights and exhaust that I only assume came off a impreza
    If you see one around bog standard with NCT and had a original owner from new take it
    It'd be well looked after
    I had a cyborg colt 1.6 mivec for a loan off my mate
    Was standard except for the 4 branch and speed was ridiculous but well looked after nothing extra he still has it do there are some decent ones still out there and very reliable

Pretty funny post, high horsing about modified Colts then saying "so fast with a four branch".

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

love mine it just keeps going once its serviced on time and as a bonus that model doesn't have a grill that could be nicked and costs a 100 nick to replace as mine unfortunatly was.

Sitec wrote: »
    Pretty funny post, high horsing about modified Colts then saying "so fast with a four branch".

x2

And im hoping he fitted the 4 branch after he noticed his 3 branch from the 1.3 wasnt quite up to the task :pac:

x2

And im hoping he fitted the 4 branch after he noticed his 3 branch from the 1.3 wasnt quite up to the task :pac:
    Where in that did I say it was fast because of the 4 branch?
    Said it was standard except from 4 branch on it and speed was ridiculous
    Never said it was fast because of that
    Smartarses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

I had a bog standard 98 Colt. The exhaust gave trouble on mine so i got rid of it.
    Great little car though.

• Advertisement

Where in that did I say it was fast because of the 4 branch?
    Said it was standard except from 4 branch on it and speed was ridiculous
    Never said it was fast because of that
    Smartarses

Im saying so as it would come standard with a 4 branch manifold, I dont see why it would come with a 3, 6 or 8 branch.. considering its a 4 cyl engine...

Didnt mean to offend, just being a smartarse :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

had one and was bulletproof - also had a same era Lancer, same engine, also bulletproof. hard to kil these i would think, but would echo the boy racer warning -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I had the next generation colt, fabulous car, regret selling it.

Just a tip mate
    If you get one try get one with an alarm or get it alarmed if its not already
    Very easy cars to break into like most jap cars
    And scumbags love them
    My glanza was robbed twice me bit gettin an alarm and my lancer was robbed
    So just a hint to get it done

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had 2 of these - both the Mirage import model (99 hatchback and 98 coupe)

Both were fresh off the boat so hadn't been molested by the boy racers here and never gave me a day's trouble mechanically.

But they fold like paper though! Woman in an S40 pulled out across a junction in front of me one morning on the old N3 (which was still 100 km/h in those days) and the front end of my spotless hatchback was destroyed and an economic write-off whereas she didn't even have a dent. Her insurance coughed up in full quickly though after some shouting on my part (book value my arse - their job was to get me back on the road in the condition I was in beforehand.. which didn't include a written off car or being €1200 out of pocket!).

Only sold the subsequent coupe because I needed a diesel soon afterwards for my job of the time. In every way my current Passat (or the 02 Passat that replaced them) is better, but in some ways I still miss those cars.

Advertisement