Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubs living in cork.

Options
  • 30-12-2012 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm curious to know how people from dublin find living in cork?
    I have a opportunity to move down because of a new job which I am considering.

Any information would be great !

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Better off posting in the Cork city forum, no one posts in the south forum.
    To be honest there are far more Spaniards or French living in Cork then Dubliners. The one I do know seems to get on fine. I imagine its similar to being a Corkonian in Dublin, the odd idiot will give you some stick but thats all. I wouldnt be worried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

From Dublin living in Cork. Have been here for the last 9 months. Haven't had any problems at all. Don't worry about it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

In cork quite a bit for work, would be the only Irish place I'd move to if I was leaving dublin tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

Work in Cork but don't live there.

Cork people in Cork are far nicer than Cork people in Dublin!

Cork is a great place, very fond of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭druidstone

My hubby is a Dub, I am an Aussie and we just love Cork city! The only thing bad that happened, after 6 months we went to Pa Johnsons to meet friends, had our 08 black ford mondeo parked nearby it was a Thursday night, only there from 8pm - 9:15pm and some scumbag poured a big white paint GT stripe over the back, roof, and bonnet of the car!! I was just horrified, it looked horrible. Car was parked on the road that goes around the back of the brewery. Should have parked closer to the Corner house and walked down coz we went to the Corner House after. You just have to use your common sense in any city. Don't park your car on a deserted street. Boiling water and dishwashing liquid softened the paint the next day, and guitar picks to scrape it off. Not something i would want to do again, it took a couple of hours of careful scraping! Our Cork friends said it was the dublin number plates that did it for sure. So if you are a Dub looking at living in Cork city, I would not recommend having a car with Dublin plates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 trailer park boy

Hi, I've lived in cork all my life and we do have a few dubs around the place it's true. I have to say though they all seem to be of the lower classes at least the ones I've come across and they do tend to intimidate me a bit more than I like. I'm not sure about them but I've been in Dublin once and I met a few nice ones maybe it's just the ones in Cork I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Luis21

Hi, I've lived in cork all my life and we do have a few dubs around the place it's true. I have to say though they all seem to be of the lower classes at least the ones I've come across and they do tend to intimidate me a bit more than I like. I'm not sure about them but I've been in Dublin once and I met a few nice ones maybe it's just the ones in Cork I'm not sure

I hear ya barking big dog. Some of them are right langers altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

druidstone wrote: »
    So if you are a Dub looking at living in Cork city, I would not recommend having a car with Dublin plates!

You're friends are incorrect. There is a massive number of D reg cars owned by Corkonians and driven and parked in Cork including the car I have for the last 5 years.

Incidentally when I first got my present car Cork were beaten by Kerry in a semi and I had parked my car in Dublin. The c reg cars in front and behind had a side mirror broken off but mine with its D reg was left alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Any Dubliners whom I know living here seem happy and like it. It's a lot smaller than Dublin but the plus side to that is, it's quicker to get to places. Traffic has really improved in the last few years also.
    The layout of the centre of Cork reminds me of that of Dublin - albeit a mini version with the north-south in reverse. E.g. Patrick's Bridge/O'Connell Bridge, Patrick Street/O'Connell Street, Patrick's Quay/Aston Quay, McCurtain Street/Dame Street (totally the same architecture on those two streets also).
    druidstone wrote: »
    some scumbag poured a big white paint GT stripe over the back, roof, and bonnet of the car!! I was just horrified, it looked horrible. Car was parked on the road that goes around the back of the brewery... Our Cork friends said it was the dublin number plates that did it for sure.
    I'd agree with Balmed Out that it more than likely wasn't the reg. plate. It was far more likely to have been where you parked. My friend used to live in the apartment block on that street and her car was robbed so many times that the guards started to recognise her!

I have never heard of D-reg cars getting it in Cork. Not saying it can't happen, but it's not something I have any familiarity with.

I'd agree with Balmed Out that it more than likely wasn't the reg. plate. It was far more likely to have been where you parked.

Phew! thanks for that, glad it wasn't the plates after all. Def. sounds more like it was the street I parked in. I'm from Australia and my hubby is a Dub, we love Cork it has a great vibe, so much that we'll soon be getting our own place in Cork and living there! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭west cork lad

I'm from cork, but better half is a dub. She has never had any problems down here (13 years). Lived in the city for a bit but as you can guess from the name we moved to the country. I drive a D reg and never had a problem. You will be grand down here, just end every other sentence with "like" and people will think you are from Cork and got a bit of an accent while working in "The Pale".

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭west cork lad

By the way OP. your name would be 09:50 am down here. ;-P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On the D reg plate thing.
    Of eight cars parked on the street outside my house on the North side of Cork last night, only 3 had C plates.

On the D reg plate thing.
    Of eight cars parked on the street outside my house on the North side of Cork last night, only 3 had C plates.
    That's good to hear our car isn't so unusual! We love Cork, to us it has a great vibe.

Advertisement