Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove Local Area Connection 2?

Options
  • 30-12-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to do this on a laptop? I'm trying to do it because I can't get online with my PS3 and I'm guessing LAC2 might be something to do with it.

I was using 3 mobile broadband to go online before and it was working perfectly, and I remember in the network settings it said ''Local Area Connection'' but recently I bought a newer version of 3 mobile broadband because the old dongle broke, but now in the network settings it says ''Local Area Connection 2'' and I cannot get online no matter what I do, very frustrating. So can anyone tell me how to remove Local Area Connection 2, please?

I'm on Windows 7, if that info is needed. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings --> Disable the offending adapter by right clicking and choosing 'Disable'

I assume you're using a wireless AP now? You may need to change the NAT settings on your wireless router.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings --> Disable the offending adapter by right clicking and choosing 'Disable'

I assume you're using a wireless AP now? You may need to change the NAT settings on your wireless router.

No, I'm using a 3 dongle still along with an ethernet cable. Thing is, you said to disable the offending adapter but it says that my ethernet cable is the LAC2 so if I disable that, I still can't go online.

Any idea what to do?

J. Marston wrote: »
    No, I'm using a 3 dongle still along with an ethernet cable. Thing is, you said to disable the offending adapter but it says that my ethernet cable is the LAC2 so if I disable that, I still can't go online.

Any idea what to do?

Ah, right. Have you tried bridging the two connections? Right click the ethernet and the 3 connection and choose 'Bridge Connections'.

It's helped me a few times trying to get Wi-Fi drivers onto laptops (from another fully working computer) where there isn't any wired connection available. I don't know if it will work with a PS3.

Ah, right. Have you tried bridging the two connections? Right click the ethernet and the 3 connection and choose 'Bridge Connections'.

It's helped me a few times trying to get Wi-Fi drivers onto laptops (from another fully working computer) where there isn't any wired connection available. I don't know if it will work with a PS3.

Yeah, I've tried to bridge them but a notice box pops up saying ''To create a network bridge, you must select at least two LAN or high speed internet connections that are not being used by Internet Connection Sharing.''

Beats me. Maybe I'll look into something wireless, it might be less awkward than dongles and ethernet cables anyway.

Yeah, I've tried to bridge them but a notice box pops up saying ''To create a network bridge, you must select at least two LAN or high speed internet connections that are not being used by Internet Connection Sharing.''

Beats me. Maybe I'll look into something wireless, it might be less awkward than dongles and ethernet cables anyway.

Have you checked whether either connection have Internet Connection Sharing enabled? On both adapters, right click 'Properties' and go to the 'Sharing' tab.

If one or both of the checkboxes are enabled on this tab, uncheck them and try again.

Other than that I think I'm out of ideas, you may have to buy a 3G USB router.

• Advertisement

Have you checked whether either connection have Internet Connection Sharing enabled? On both adapters, right click 'Properties' and go to the 'Sharing' tab.

If one or both of the checkboxes are enabled on this tab, uncheck them and try again.

Other than that I think I'm out of ideas, you may have to buy a 3G USB router.

Yeah, on the LAC for the internet, I have sharing enabled but on the LAC2, which is the ethernet cable, there is no sharing tab in properties. It's there sometimes but other times, it's not. I dunno....

Bloody technology, I give up. Thanks for the help, though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So let me get this straight, you plug in the 3 wireless broadband into the USB port, your laptop then registers this as a new network connection device(hence "local area connection 2") why do you want to disable this?

Yeah, on the LAC for the internet, I have sharing enabled but on the LAC2, which is the ethernet cable, there is no sharing tab in properties. It's there sometimes but other times, it's not. I dunno....

Bloody technology, I give up. Thanks for the help, though.

You could try Connectify, turn your laptop into an AP. Have a look here - http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/phonesformobileworkers/a/how-to-reverse-tether-to-share-laptop-internet-connection.htm

EDIT: The sharing tab will only appear if you have more than one adapter enabled.

So let me get this straight, you plug in the 3 wireless broadband into the USB port, your laptop then registers this as a new network connection device(hence "local area connection 2") why do you want to disable this?

I'm not the smartest with all this stuff but I remember that my old connection, the one that I get my PS3 online with, was just LAC, not LAC2.

And I'm just guessing that if I can get it back to the original LAC then it might work properly again. Not the most clever plan, I suppose, but I've tried looking at tutorials and guides but what they're telling isn't working so I said I'd give this a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'm not the smartest with all this stuff but I remember that my old connection, the one that I get my PS3 online with, was just LAC, not LAC2.

And I'm just guessing that if I can get it back to the original LAC then it might work properly again. Not the most clever plan, I suppose, but I've tried looking at tutorials and guides but what they're telling isn't working so I said I'd give this a go.

I'm guessing you have one of the new modems with hilink written on it. I've had the same problem as you and am yet to find a fix for it.

But for now just put the new sim in your old modem and it'll work.

I'll try explain in the hope someone may be able to help. Here's two pictures. In the first picture I'm using the older 3 modem (old o2 modem works the same), I can connect my ps3 to the internet via the modem by right clicking on 1.3G, then click the sharing tab, click on box to allow connection to be shared by local area connetion.

http://oi47.tinypic.com/34ovno5.jpg

In this second picture I'm using the new o2 hilink modems ( 3 hilink mdem works the same). I'm guessing this where J Martson is having his problems too.
    There's no o2 connection there and it just says connected to the internet via local area connection 2 (you can right click on this and there's an option to share but it doesn't work) so there's seemingly no way to get the ps3 to connect to the internet with these hilink modems, I've spent hours trying

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/9775/modemnotthere.pn

• Advertisement

I'm guessing you have one of the new modems with hilink written on it. I've had the same problem as you and am yet to find a fix for it.

But for now just put the new sim in your old modem and it'll work.

I'll try explain in the hope someone may be able to help. Here's two pictures. In the first picture I'm using the older 3 modem (old o2 modem works the same), I can connect my ps3 to the internet via the modem by right clicking on 1.3G, then click the sharing tab, click on box to allow connection to be shared by local area connetion.

http://oi47.tinypic.com/34ovno5.jpg

In this second picture I'm using the new o2 hilink modems ( 3 hilink mdem works the same). I'm guessing this where J Martson is having his problems too.
    There's no o2 connection there and it just says connected to the internet via local area connection 2 (you can right click on this and there's an option to share but it doesn't work) so there's seemingly no way to get the ps3 to connect to the internet with these hilink modems, I've spent hours trying

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/9775/modemnotthere.pn

Yeah, I'm in the exact same situation as you. Thankfully you have pics to show because I don't think I could have explained it any better just by typing stuff.

Unfortunately I can't put the new sim in the old dongle because the old dongle is in pieces now due to my own stupidity.

Anyway, maybe with the pics someone can shed some light on it.

Yeah, I'm in the exact same situation as you. Thankfully you have pics to show because I don't think I could have explained it any better just by typing stuff.

Unfortunately I can't put the new sim in the old dongle because the old dongle is in pieces now due to my own stupidity.

Anyway, maybe with the pics someone can shed some light on it.

Sure you could pick one up on adverts.ie for €10 or less if you wanted. And you might get more responses in the computers and technology forum rather than just the laptop one cause there's more people in there

Just updating this thread because I got the hilink o2 and three modems to work with the ps3/xbox using these instructions

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/534489-Internet-Connection-Sharing-on-Laptop-PC-for-XBOX-Playstation-with-NEW-HiLink-Softwar

So disconnect your pc/laptop from the internet, go to network and sharing center. Click on Local Area Connection, click Properties, highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and then click properties and enter the following

IP: 192.168.1.2
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (This is the HiLink Gateway/DNS IP the NDIS Connection gets when connected)
    Leave DNS Setting Blank

Ps3/Xbox Network Setup:

IP: 192.168.1.3
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 192.168.1.1

Once you have that done connect to the internet, go back to network and sharing center, click on change adapter settings on the left, select both the LAN and LAN 2 (hilink connection/remote NDIS) and right click and select bridge connection. If you can't bridge the connection you need to disable ICS (internet connection sharing) in the Local Area Connection's properties.

And now you're good to go.

Advertisement