Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education

Options
  • 30-12-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So from looking online I think we're ok but thought I would ask here as I'm not too sure and its all very confusing different sites contradict each other all the time and SUSI what a stupid site!
    Here it goes:
    Both my husband and I are thinking of returning to education in September :-O we have a daughter who'll be 1.5 when we go back. We've both been working since we left college in 2009 me for 9 months every year and him part-time and on JB/A X's and O's. At the moment I'm doing a FAS course which is almost a year long finishes end of Aug. I'd be going back to do a Level 9 having completed my Level 8 whereas my husband would be starting from scratch as he left his Level 7 after having to repeat both 1st and 2nd year (typical example of the course not suiting him but wanting to get some qualification). I know I'm eligible for €2000 postgrad grant but can I get help towards fees? I'm thinking of doing my HDip (or what ever its now called) in Secondary Teaching with DCU but also this course is over 18months so think its classed as Part-Time does this affect my eligibility as I'm not sure if they offer it full time? Also my husband would be entitled to the top-up/special rate would he get the diff between this and the standard grant paid in addititon to his BTEA payment (I know he can't get the full grant on BTEA). Also we rent so would move in Sept for college to Dublin but then would not satisfy the non-adjacent req. as we do not live with our parents so we would give up our independent address down here. Also we get Rent Allowance at the mo could we move and continue to get this or would we be as well off keeping our home here and commuting?
    God I think I've confused myself even more than when I thought to ask this here! If anyone can make head nor tails of this I'd really appreciate any and all replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

tippgirl1 wrote: »
    So from looking online I think we're ok but thought I would ask here as I'm not too sure and its all very confusing different sites contradict each other all the time and SUSI what a stupid site!
    Here it goes:
    Both my husband and I are thinking of returning to education in September :-O we have a daughter who'll be 1.5 when we go back. We've both been working since we left college in 2009 me for 9 months every year and him part-time and on JB/A X's and O's. At the moment I'm doing a FAS course which is almost a year long finishes end of Aug. I'd be going back to do a Level 9 having completed my Level 8 whereas my husband would be starting from scratch as he left his Level 7 after having to repeat both 1st and 2nd year (typical example of the course not suiting him but wanting to get some qualification). I know I'm eligible for €2000 postgrad grant but can I get help towards fees? I'm thinking of doing my HDip (or what ever its now called) in Secondary Teaching with DCU but also this course is over 18months so think its classed as Part-Time does this affect my eligibility as I'm not sure if they offer it full time? Also my husband would be entitled to the top-up/special rate would he get the diff between this and the standard grant paid in addititon to his BTEA payment (I know he can't get the full grant on BTEA). Also we rent so would move in Sept for college to Dublin but then would not satisfy the non-adjacent req. as we do not live with our parents so we would give up our independent address down here. Also we get Rent Allowance at the mo could we move and continue to get this or would we be as well off keeping our home here and commuting?
    God I think I've confused myself even more than when I thought to ask this here! If anyone can make head nor tails of this I'd really appreciate any and all replies!

There are a lot of variables in there and I think the best thing would be to visit either a citizens information centre or your local VEC adult education adviser

A couple of things of note though

There are no grants available for part time courses

The fee grant for postgrad courses is upto 6270 once your income less then 22,703 (to be reduced by 3% in budget 2013) and you are receiving a social welfare payment

If you are receiving BTEA you are not eligible for any maintenance grant (you are eligible for a grant to pay the student contribution fee)

If your husband left a level 7 course this may affect his eligibility for; BTEA, free fees and grants

The adjacent/non-adjacent is regarding your "normal" residence. It could certainly be argued that your normal residence is where you live currently.

I am a little confused about the part "living with your parents" - if you currently live with your parents then their income might have to be assessed for the grant applications.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement