Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great songs...but can't listen all the way through!

Options
  • 30-12-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Listening to some Manic Street Preachers there today, haven't listened to them in a long time...

Good band, great catchy songs in my opinion...but something about their stuff means I just can't listen to any of their songs all the way through! A verse, a chorus, then skip to the next. Every single song, even the classics.

All other bands I like I wouldn't even consider it. Just something about the Manics. It's strange, I'd consider their songs good from a song writing perspective. Maybe it's a symptom of always listening to their greatest hits whenever I do feel like a bit of Manics, knowing there's another good track coming up...

Anybody experience this with other bands?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I feel the same way about the Manics. They have some stellar material, especially during the Richey era, but I find their albums a bit enduring to listen to in their entirety. A lot of their songs get a bit samey after a while and Dean's voice starts to get to you. It's not so much songs I can't listen to all the way through but more so their albums.

As for myself I find myself skipping half the songs on any of LCD Soundsystem's albums even, though I really love some of their songs. It seems that for every great tune like 'All My Friends' there's always some overlong and pointless filler track to counter-balance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Very rare with past loved albums that I can listen to all the way through even Siamense Dream has it less than interesting moments( Space Boy -hate that).
    I would still listen to Whipping Boys Heartworm all the way through because ain't a bad tack on it.
    Re Manics had their moments..Holy Bible is a stomper of an album but hardly relaxing ..I think I could copy about 12 songs from all the albums onto a CD and that would be a superb album..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I'm always happy to listen to the 9 minute version of Kraftwerk's Autobahn, but the full version that's 22 mins in length requires a little more patience.

I also enjoyed many of the tunes on Public Enemy's Fear of A Black Planet album but I was warn out towards the end as some of the darker tracks take its toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

I was actually talking about listening to a full song, rather than full albums. Lots of albums I'd listen to I'd skip a track or two, but when it comes to listening to just a single song, the Manics consistently make me skip to the next one before the song finishes.

Think you're right though Zero1986, their songs are quite samey at times. It's just a strange one, on one level they've written some seriously catchy and fantastic songs, yet I find it a real chore to listen all the way through any of their songs. It's almost like the hook has hit and you know that's it for the rest of the song...skip. And I'd consider myself a fan! I've no disrespect for them.

I've no problem with my attention span either, and am about to enjoy 22 minutes of Kraftwerk, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

Don't really see where you're coming from on this to be honest, and not just in relation to the Manics. If you can't listen to a song the whole way through then why would you define it as a great song ?

I like some of the Manics stuff (Design for Life, Faster, Roses in the Hospital, ) think they went off the boil a few years ago though. Know Your Enemy was the last album of theirs I bought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement