Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my trackpad failing

Options
  • 30-12-2012 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a weird issue with my Mid 2010 MacBook (not pro) running Mountain Lion.

Basically it won't let me click but I can move my mouse pointer. Sometimes it will register clicks. This occurred this morning when I was browsing in Firefox. It stopped letting me click then after a while it came back but now it is permanently gone.

Also when I hover over dock, it doesn't zoom which is quite weird. I have a Microsoft external mouse and when I use this I was seeing the same issues.

I managed to navigate using the keyboard to System Preferences and disable the trackpad if another mouse is present. Then I deleted the preferences files for all mouse/trackpad prefs and rebooted with Microsoft Mouse plugged in.

Now the Microsoft one works fine including dock zooming but if I plug it out after boot, the trackpad will allow me to move mouse pointer but not click and this breaks the Microsoft Mouse until I reboot.

I'm guessing it is the trackpad causing all the issues. I tried reinstalling Mountain Lion without success.

I thought I'd ask here first in case there is anything else I could try before buying a replacement trackpad.

Advertisement