Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opps I Messed up

Options
  • 29-12-2012 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Recently got a 160GB drive and used herins boot and nuke to wipe it, on restarting my laptop im getting GRUB Error: unknown filesystem, I'm using ubuntu, I've downloaded the iso file from http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ and tried to restore grub but it says it can't that there is a issue, when I go into gparted it says there is 111 GB of unallocated space, I don't want to loose any data off the drive by creating a partition table. The drive is not being seen by any systems I have in the house (linux/win)

Any help would be appriciated, have a few pics i don't want to loose on this drive.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Recently got a 160GB drive and used herins boot and nuke to wipe it, on restarting my laptop im getting GRUB Error: unknown filesystem, I'm using ubuntu, I've downloaded the iso file from http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ and tried to restore grub but it says it can't that there is a issue, when I go into gparted it says there is 111 GB of unallocated space, I don't want to loose any data off the drive by creating a partition table. The drive is not being seen by any systems I have in the house (linux/win)

Any help would be appriciated, have a few pics i don't want to loose on this drive.

Thanks

Do I understand you correctly ? .......... you deliberately wiped the drive and yet don't want to lose data from it?

It depends on how the drive has been wiped, but if it has been done correctly there is no hope of recovering any data from it.

You could try testdisk from the command line ....... if there are any indications of previous partitions it will find them, and hopefully restore them.

I would not expect it to be possible, as I expect the drive to be correctly wiped by 'boot & nuke'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

No I connected the new 160GB drive to my laptop and booted it using herins then done a nuke on the 160 but must have inadvertently selected a partition on my laptop, there were 5 partitions on the drive well 4 really. After I unplugged the drive and restarted the laptop it wouldn't boot. So far I've been using the live CD from geparted which has disktest installed, and it reports there is no way for it to recover the partitions. Next thing im going to do is put the drive into my desktop and use photorec to recover.

Ok did the above and recovered the files, but now I cannot delete the flders that I do not need, as only root has permission, and I dont seem to be able to login as root.?

No I connected the new 160GB drive to my laptop and booted it using herins then done a nuke on the 160 but must have inadvertently selected a partition on my laptop, there were 5 partitions on the drive well 4 really. After I unplugged the drive and restarted the laptop it wouldn't boot. So far I've been using the live CD from geparted which has disktest installed, and it reports there is no way for it to recover the partitions. Next thing im going to do is put the drive into my desktop and use photorec to recover.

I wish you luck ..... but don't hold out much hope unfortunately :(

I've not been able to get the partition but was sucessful in recovery of data, now I just need to remove the old unwanted folders from my desktop.. :)

• Advertisement

I've not been able to get the partition but was sucessful in recovery of data, now I just need to remove the old unwanted folders from my desktop.. :)

Excellent news indeed!

Seems the partition wasn't 'wiped' after all ..... maybe only deleted.

:D

Advertisement