Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scans in Waterford Regional hospital.

Options
  • 29-12-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Just wondering when everyone had their first scan in waterford hospital? Im 8 weeks in my 3rd pregnancy my doctor said scan will probably be 16 weeks. Im hoping its earlier as it seems along way off. With first pregnancys in 05 first scan was about 17 weeks & with 2nd pregnancy in 08 first scan was at 12 weeks then another at 22 weeks. A bit confusing why it changes.thanks x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

From my experience in Cork, they aim to scan sometime between 12 and 16 weeks. The exact appointment depends both on the other womens appointments at the hospital, your dates and when you went to the GP. Some people know they are pregnant at 4 weeks and are at the GP the next day... i think they get the earlier scans. There is sometimes a second scan between 20 and 26 weeks. It seems to be discretionary from what I can tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭LoopyLolly88

Thanks for your reply :) i was at doctors at 6 weeks got bloods the following week & was told results will probably be back after christmas & then they'll send results & refer me to waterford hosiptal. I havent been told to go back to my gp so i presume next time ill be seen is whenever i get my hospital appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

There's always the option of a private scan too if you are happy to fork out the cash. if you're hospital don't do early scans. The hospital we're in in Dublin doesn't do scans at the 12 week appointment (although they did do a quick mini one for us to be nice) - the first scan is at 18 - 22 weeks. We had a private scan at 9 weeks and it was totally worth it, put our mind at ease during the worrying first three months. I'm sure somewhere in Waterford does it.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    There's always the option of a private scan too if you are happy to fork out the cash. if you're hospital don't do early scans. The hospital we're in in Dublin doesn't do scans at the 12 week appointment (although they did do a quick mini one for us to be nice) - the first scan is at 18 - 22 weeks. We had a private scan at 9 weeks and it was totally worth it, put our mind at ease during the worrying first three months. I'm sure somewhere in Waterford does it.

Yea was looking into early scans but cant seem to find anywhere closeish,there all in dublin. Im in wexford...kinda worrying that i wont see anyone for a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Yea was looking into early scans but cant seem to find anywhere closeish,there all in dublin. Im in wexford...kinda worrying that i wont see anyone for a while yet.

Yeah, I know the feeling - until you can see something it's hard not to worry. Hopefully you will get to see baby soon! Is there any reason you'll be in Dublin anytime soon?

• Advertisement

MurdyWurdy wrote: »

Yeah, I know the feeling - until you can see something it's hard not to worry. Hopefully you will get to see baby soon! Is there any reason you'll be in Dublin anytime soon?

Hopefully ill get a scan date soon at least then id know what stage id be at. No im never in dublin & would be expensive enough to travel up. Ill have another search to see if i can find anything in waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was in the clinic in Waterford RH in 2010 and 2011.
    The first time my doctor send a letter to O Donnell's secretary and I had my scan at 13 weeks.
    2nd time was a bit of an unusual situation. My sister's date for 1st scan was 15 weeks, when she queried this, they said they were really busy. In the end she was seen by the EPU, so had a scan anyway. I didnt find anywhere near Waterford that did a private scan. I think Cork was the closest and best value.

Would you consider the Domino's midwives clinic, they usually get you a scan when you see them, if the rooms free.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I was in the clinic in Waterford RH in 2010 and 2011.
    The first time my doctor send a letter to O Donnell's secretary and I had my scan at 13 weeks.
    2nd time was a bit of an unusual situation. My sister's date for 1st scan was 15 weeks, when she queried this, they said they were really busy. In the end she was seen by the EPU, so had a scan anyway. I didnt find anywhere near Waterford that did a private scan. I think Cork was the closest and best value.

Would you consider the Domino's midwives clinic, they usually get you a scan when you see them, if the rooms free.

Ive heard of the domino midwives clinic but not excatly sure how id get on it etc would it be easy to get it? Ive had 2 straight forward pregnancys & quick labours but do have a heart problem but has never affected pregnancy or labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I'm expecting my second baby in WRH next year. Had my scan this time at 14 weeks, and due the second one at 22 weeks. I know a few others that had theirs a week or so earlier but not sure if there's a reason mines a little bit later.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

hi, my gp booked me in immediately, no bloods or anything like that, we got our booking app at 10+4 where we were scanned. You could try ringing your consultants sec and asking are you on the system yet, if not im almost certain you can book in yourself.

if you want to get a private scan there is a place in kilkenny called the womens health clinic who do regular and 3d scans, the regular is 150€ and is usually about a weeks waiting list.

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    I'm expecting my second baby in WRH next year. Had my scan this time at 14 weeks, and due the second one at 22 weeks. I know a few others that had theirs a week or so earlier but not sure if there's a reason mines a little bit later.

14 weeks wouldnt be as bad just hoping its around 12ish weeks.

Straycat wrote: »
    hi, my gp booked me in immediately, no bloods or anything like that, we got our booking app at 10+4 where we were scanned. You could try ringing your consultants sec and asking are you on the system yet, if not im almost certain you can book in yourself.

if you want to get a private scan there is a place in kilkenny called the womens health clinic who do regular and 3d scans, the regular is 150€ and is usually about a weeks waiting list.

yea i found it odd getting bloods in gp as ususlly got it done at 1st hospital appointment. Oh can i thanks for that, where would i get the number do you know? If i get no word ill try get in contact wednesday or thursday.
    Thanks will have a look at them :)

I hadn't heard back a few weeks after my visit to the doc and was keen to know when my appointment was so just rang the main hospital reception, told them I didn't know what consultant I was assigned to as I was going public and wanted to see if the appointment had been made and she transferred me to some department that gave me the details over the phone so it's worth a try!

Only got the letter for the appointment about 10 days before it.

I hadn't heard back a few weeks after my visit to the doc and was keen to know when my appointment was so just rang the main hospital reception, told them I didn't know what consultant I was assigned to as I was going public and wanted to see if the appointment had been made and she transferred me to some department that gave me the details over the phone so it's worth a try!

Only got the letter for the appointment about 10 days before it.

Thanks for that :) will ring up prob thursday to see if im booked in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Just ring 051 848000 and ask for anti natal clinic, or Dr O Donnells or Dr Birmingham's secretary. They should sort you out. Basically just ring to make sure you are in the system.

The Domino's are pretty booked up but it could be worth a try, much easier process. Not sure about the heart thing but they'd tell you there an then. The receptionist in Ardkeen should have a number for on of the domino's midwives, its usally a mobile number.

Great thanks a mill :)

Found out my scan date :) 4th feb so will be 13+3...happy with that. Thanks for the replys.

Actually that's exactly to the day how far gone I was for my initial scan! Had second one yesterday at 21+4 so that might give you an indication of your next one too!

Actually that's exactly to the day how far gone I was for my initial scan! Had second one yesterday at 21+4 so that might give you an indication of your next one too!

Aww really,hopefully the days wont drag for me as cant wait to see baby & make sure all is ok :) oh did hopefully my 2nd scan will be about the same time.

Advertisement