Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my singing teacher ok? RIAM grades.

Options
  • 29-12-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

So this one is for people who have had singing lessons or give singing lessons and have lots of experience.
    I have sung for years but never had any voice lessons. I sang in bands and even got into college with my voice to study music performance etc. So I;m ok at singing, or so I thought.
    I recently decided to get singing lessons and go for RIAM grades with a view to teach others myself in a few years.
    I have been started off at grade 3 and finding it pretty simple, the 3 pieces are easy, theory is fine, my sight singing is pretty good and the grade 3 voice exercises I can do no problem so no problem there.
    The problem arises when my teacher is doing vocal exercises with me. Because I have never done these before, I am finding it difficult to know when to switch to my head voice-I am an alto.
    All her exercises are for soprano and I am beginning to wonder if alto's should be doing grade exams at all.
    So when I am switching from normal voice to head voice, she never sort of instructs me on how. She just says it sounds awful or that isnt musical. At this stage, she has completely knocked my confidence.
    However I auditioned for a band recently and got it. So now I just dont know.
    She says I am breathing correctly but that I am doing it wrong in the head area but doesnt tell me what I should be doing. She says it sounds like alot of breath, but that is just how I sing-I am quite throaty if that makes sense? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

A good teacher should be able to get you where you want to go - i.e. - into your head voice without difficulty.

She certainly should not be telling you that you sound awful in an effort to disguise her own lack of knowledge.

I'm surprised that you've put up with this crappy level of service for so long, if i'm honest.

There are plenty of coaches out there that will show you how to do the things you desire and will actually help to boost your confidence. Please don't put up with this any longer.

Advertisement