Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of cigarettes

Options
  • 29-12-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

Hey smoking forum people,

I'm working on a project and I'm interested in the history of the price of 20 cigarettes.

Does anybody know any source for this history, I can't seem to find it.

Thank you,

laugh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Googles; history of the price of 20 cigarettes ireland

2nd link; http://taxpolicy.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/10.21-General-Excise-Duties.pdf

2nd page;

Year Increase per pack of 20
    2000 63 cent
    2001 4 cent
    2002 13 cent
    2003 50 cent
    2004 25 cent
    2005 No increase
    2006 No increase
    2007 50 cent
    2008 30 cent
    2009 50 cent
    2009 (Supp) 25 cent
    2010 No increase

How hard did you try? The above took me 2 minutes. You need to up your searching skills kiddo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Well. I can tell ya it was 27 pence ha'penny for 10 Major in 1979 when I started!
    I remember 20 B&H went over the £2 in 1990 to £2.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I'll quit when they go over a fiver, 6 quid, 7.50, 8.50 a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You could get 10 JPB and a box of matches for a punt in the late 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

the_syco wrote: »
    Googles; history of the price of 20 cigarettes ireland

2nd link; http://taxpolicy.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/10.21-General-Excise-Duties.pdf

2nd page;

Year Increase per pack of 20
    2000 63 cent
    2001 4 cent
    2002 13 cent
    2003 50 cent
    2004 25 cent
    2005 No increase
    2006 No increase
    2007 50 cent
    2008 30 cent
    2009 50 cent
    2009 (Supp) 25 cent
    2010 No increase

How hard did you try? The above took me 2 minutes. You need to up your searching skills kiddo :P

Do these increases match the price of a pack exactly?

Is Silkcut the most popular brand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Cigarettes popularity by region.

You mention silk cut, west of Ireland maybe but at the moment the RYO is taking over the market.

What kind of information you looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

nanook wrote: »
    RYO is taking over the market.

Got to agree. I worked in retail for two years and the most popular tobacco was amberleaf in a box :)

Most popular cigarettes that I sold were probably marlboro light, john player blue and more recently, jps red.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 canalman

On decimal day 10 Carrolls were 2/6 converted to 12.5p.
    I cannot remember the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Got to agree. I worked in retail for two years and the most popular tobacco was amberleaf in a box :)

Most popular cigarettes that I sold were probably marlboro light, john player blue and more recently, jps red.

Yeah they put the rollies up by 50 cent. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Hey guys, my dad bought a pack of Carrolls in a local shop today and got charged 9.20 and got told that they had been risen in price. Now I work in a store and have yet to see the price change. Now admittedly I've been off since Monday so maybe it's come in since so I'm just wondering if anyone here can confirm if they have increased in price?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Thwip! wrote: »
    Hey guys, my dad bought a pack of Carrolls in a local shop today and got charged 9.20 and got told that they had been risen in price. Now I work in a store and have yet to see the price change. Now admittedly I've been off since Monday so maybe it's come in since so I'm just wondering if anyone here can confirm if they have increased in price?

Well rollies did infact rise by a whopping 20c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 superman0

Just been to the shop and now my cigs are 9.20?? Anyone know about this?? Was it by manufacturer or what? How can I check this??

Rollies went up by 20c in the last two weeks and an extra 25c for drum, but it's sooo good..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 superman0

Rollies went up by 20c in the last two weeks and an extra 25c for drum, but it's sooo good..

Any reasons why the increase??

superman0 wrote: »
    Any reasons why the increase??

I have no idea to be honest, but I would just guess it's extra tax. I could be completely wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It's retail greed as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

zenno wrote: »
    It's retail distributor greed as per usual.

FYP :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The cigarette companies used to put up ad's in the newspapers about the price increases, but that got knocked on the head, as you're not allowed advertise cigarettes any more. Carrolls went up this week, I think Marlboro is going up on June 10th.

Advertisement