Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mike hussey to retire from International Cricket after Sri Lanka series

Options
  • 29-12-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/20864060

So that's means Australia will be trying to regain The Ashes with only one reliable batsman? :D

On hussey, fair enough, family comes first, will be missed along with AB probably the best all round batsman in the world in how he could adopt to each format no matter what the scenario. Shame they took so long to pick him!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

It's a strange one alright, especially with the back to back ashes coming up and him being in great form. Wouldn't surprise me if he's had enough of Pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Football Gambler

I was very surprised to hear this ahead of India and the Ashes. If it is down to a personal clash within the dressing room, I'm sure a story would have leaked out by now (assuming one already hasn't, that I haven't heard about).

The telling line in the article linked too by Rjd2 is the bit where it quotes Hussey saying he was more excited about telling his children he won't be going away to play cricket any more....... "I was quite excited to tell [my children] that I'm not going to go away and play for Australia any more."

This suggests to me he's looked at the hectic schedule and though I've had enough of this grindstone.

I know this is a debate in it's own right, but is this a message for cricket's administrators?

Are they even bothered that a guy like Mike Hussey is retiring? They might have already decided that shorter careers for the best players is a price worth paying to keep the current relentless schedule going.

I know Hussey is getting on age wise, but he still appears to have what it takes to play at the top level, and I have no doubt he could have cut it in the Ashes. If nothing else, this is a boost for England's chances of retaining the Ashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Scored 300 twice when he was at Northants (still a club record I think), a great captain for us, shame he was only there a couple of seasons. The county are disappointed he is retiring as the Aussies are playing a 2 day warm up game there and they were looking forward to welcoming him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

the coca cola girls at the SCG are fit, Greig would have had a word or two for them

Advertisement