Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra 1.6 Oil Dipstick Problem

Options
  • 29-12-2012 4:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am having a problem with my 2006 Opel Astra 1.6 petrol with 156,000 kms on the clock. The oil dipstick is indicating that there is too much oil in the engine when I check it. I withdraw it, wipe it with a rag, place it in and take a reading and the oil is always at a level way above the max. I check it when the engine is cold and the car is on a level surface. I know that the engine has the correct amount of oil as I had it serviced at an Opel garage 6 months ago.

The reason I am concerned is that I will be changing the oil myself next week and would rather know the exact level so I can do this properly. Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it's showing the wrong amount when cold it's the wrong amount, too much oil can do damage. Check your owners manual or go to www.castrol.co.uk and it will tell you the correct amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am having a problem with my 2006 Opel Astra 1.6 petrol with 156,000 kms on the clock. The oil dipstick is indicating that there is too much oil in the engine when I check it. I withdraw it, wipe it with a rag, place it in and take a reading and the oil is always at a level way above the max. I check it when the engine is cold and the car is on a level surface. I know that the engine has the correct amount of oil as I had it serviced at an Opel garage 6 months ago.

The reason I am concerned is that I will be changing the oil myself next week and would rather know the exact level so I can do this properly. Has anyone encountered this problem before?
    If you are changing the oil, then that is the opportunity to check the accuracy of the dipstick reading. Leave the engine warm up a little bit before you change the oil. Make sure it's not so hot as to burn your hands whilst removing the sump plug. Give it plenty of time to drain and change the oil filter as well. Top up with the correct amount of oil. Check the reading on the dipstick and it should be there or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Change the oil and filter ASAP.

Refer to car's manual for proper amount of oil used.

Then watch oil level frequently.

Sometimes happens oil level goes up when's going to mix with engine coolant or fuel. And that indicates engine's malfunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

[QUOTE=Pops_20;82413126 I know that the engine has the correct amount of oil as I had it serviced at an Opel garage 6 months ago.
    [/QUOTE]
    Having it serviced at an Opel garage is no guarantee that the garage didn't overfill the engine last time.
    The only way to know that the engine has the correct amount of oil in it is to do it yourself to the handbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

youtube is man's best friend there is usually someone with a vid for everything.

When your changing oil make sure to buy the correct type and most car's take around 4.5 liter's but as stated above check the correct amount.

Just open the sump plug if not changing for a while and let out a small amount till you have time to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. I will be changing the oil and filter next week. I understand that the car needs to be on a flat surface for this. However there is a very slight incline outside my house. Does anyone here know if it is ok to change the oil on anything but a completely flat surface? I would rather sort out this dipstick problem without any other issues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

That will be fine sure you will have the car jacked up or on a ramp as to get under, the sump plug is situated at a point which allows most of the old oil out.
    I always run a bit of new oil down while plug is open probably doesn't help much but brings some of the old with it.

Whichever way the hill is going down have front of car going down that way also and jack it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

Just to inform you weather the car was serviced in a main dealer or a Indy any body could make a mistake and put a small bit more in as the amount required to bring it up 1 cm would be minimal. Even main dealers make mistakes

burke027 wrote: »
    Just to inform you weather the car was serviced in a main dealer or a Indy any body could make a mistake and put a small bit more in as the amount required to bring it up 1 cm would be minimal. Even main dealers make mistakes

I understand what you are saying, just because I had it serviced at the Opel garage does not necessarily mean that it was done properly, although you would expect that it should be.

The oil comes past the max reading by about 10 cm though, not 1 cm. Going by the min to max mark on the dipstick, this would add up to a few litres of oil over the max. If that were the case I'm sure something would have gone wrong ages ago.

This is why I think the dipstick itself is inaccurate, and there is actually the right volume of oil in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Are you sure that there is not just oil on the dipstick tube that is getting wiped onto the stick as you pull it out?

If it is that over full the car would not run right or at least smoke a lot.

• Advertisement

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Are you sure that there is not just oil on the dipstick tube that is getting wiped onto the stick as you pull it out?

Yes, this might be the problem. There could be a residue of oil further up the tube that is getting stuck to the dipstick as I pull it out.

Still giving an inaccurate reading I believe. Maybe if I leave the dipstick out for a few minutes it might drain back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying, just because I had it serviced at the Opel garage does not necessarily mean that it was done properly, although you would expect that it should be.

The oil comes past the max reading by about 10 cm though, not 1 cm. Going by the min to max mark on the dipstick, this would add up to a few litres of oil over the max. If that were the case I'm sure something would have gone wrong ages ago.

This is why I think the dipstick itself is inaccurate, and there is actually the right volume of oil in the car.

10cm over???,if thats the case i would'nt as much as start the car till all that overfill is removed,why do you think the dipsticks reading is inaccurate?,you push it in as far as it goes and then pull out and check the level showing,it cant really be wrong,the only other explanation is that its the wrong dipstick and its way way too long

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

Yeah something doesn't add up hear. Even the measuring part of the dipstick also isn't even 10cm so something isn't right. I wouldn't be driven the car tho if ur saying its that full I would get it checked by a mechanic. The only other thing I can think of is the Opel mechanic knows the car takes say 4.5l of oil and he fills the jug with that amount and pours it into the engine but forgot to drain the old engine oil.
    Maybe that could what happened or as others say the wrong type dipstick. If your anywhere around kildare I'd gladly check it out for you.

Advertisement