Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avira Free Antivirus,??

Options
  • 28-12-2012 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Hi, I left my pc in for a quick check-up before xmas, as there was a lot of little things annoying me , anyway the guy asked me what antivirus I'am using and I said Avast Free, ok he said.

Went back that evening to collect it, and was told that there was a lot problems with it, and he said he got rid of Avast it's no good, and installed Avira Free, did'nt have time to hang around to ask if it's better or worse than what I had, so I'll throw the question in here and see if someone has heard of it, or used it before.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Yea, it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Avira is very decent, I'd give it to customers before Avast as Avast tends to nag and gives popups, most people just ignore popups no matter what they're for. Avira just goes about its business without annoying. MSE is another that doesn't annoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

Actually I find Avira more annoying than Avast with it's full page pop-ups, advertising it's products. I have AVG on this one (Laptop) and you dont know it's there. I might put MSE on the main pc and give it a go.

I just disable any unnecessary alerts in Avast. MSE has poor detection rates these days and AVG is too much of a performance hog. Avira, I have no real experience with.

Performance is not a problem with this machine, maybe if I was to buy Avast then I would have the full protection, decisions, decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

No need to buy anything, whichever antivirus, malwarebytes, firefox, no script, adblock and keep everything updated.

Job done.

That's the strange thing, I had all those on the pc and the guy gets rid of them all, firefox is still there. I even had one called Rapport for banking and thats gone. I know it's easy to but them back, and I think thats what I'll do. I just want the main pc to bo pretty secure for banking, buying and selling, and all that fun stuff.

Advertisement