Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you pay for Wikipedia and other free sites?

Options
  • 28-12-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Do you use Wikipedia? Do you pay anything towards it?

If Wiki, Boards.ie and another of your fav sites asked for $10 annual subscription each, would you pay it?

In the case of Wiki and Boards.ie I probably would

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

'round 3.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

No :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes.
    I donate towards a number of sites - as well as boards.ie and Wiki.
    Also running my own sites and know the costs involved annually, I have also gained further appreciation of whats involved financially so try and help out too for that reason also.

Those that are lucky to be in a position to help out occasionally, should do so once in a while - if only to see that any 'corporate big boys' are not just the only ones around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Absolutely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

I'm starting to think you get paid for starting threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Why would you pay for a free site? it wouldnt be free then would it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Do you use Wikipedia? Do you pay anything towards it?

If Wiki, Boards.ie and another of your fav sites asked for $10 annual subscription each, would you pay it?

In the case of Wiki and Boards.ie I probably would

Hell No. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Dubwat

Wikipedia doesn't need your money - so why does it keep pestering you?
    Special Report: It's that time of year again. As the Christmas lights go up, Wikipedia's donation drive kicks off. Wikipedia claims that the donations are needed to keep the site online. Guilt-tripped journalists including Heather Brooke and Toby Young have contributed to Wikipedia in the belief that donations help fund operating costs. Students, who are already heavily in debt, are urged to donate in case Wikipedia "disappears".

But what Wikipedia doesn't tell us is that it is awash with cash - and raises far more money each year than it needs to keep operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Wiki - no chance. It's convenient but I would not pay for it. The value in boards.ie is that it's free

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'm starting to think you get paid for starting threads.

Likewise for thanks received? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sure I can use the Mexican non-union equivalent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

There's a difference between paying a fee to use the site, and contributing to the site. If wiki asked me to pay to use it, it's a no for sure, It's a site that's updated by regular people, not experts.

Not too sure what my answer would be for boards. Then again, i doubt the people who run this site would be silly enough to ask everyone for a fee :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Strange view of the value system OP. I'd expect to get paid to post on sites like boards if there was money involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Not too sure what my answer would be for boards.

How much do you mods get paid?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

mikemac1 wrote: »
    How much do you mods get paid?

"Cocaine and hookers" etc etc :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

You know if put malibu sunshine backwards and replace a few letters it spells boards.ie payroll:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I pay for last.fm. Best €3 I spend a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I rarely even pay for Netflix. I just set up a new email and sign up again for the free trial. Then I use a new 3V voucher. Cheapskate I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

nocoverart wrote: »
    I rarely even pay for Netflix. I just set up a new email and sign up again for the free trial. Then I use a new 3V voucher. Cheapskate I know!

If it's that easy to get around the trial version they deserve that treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Malibu Sunshine

nocoverart wrote: »

Its that easy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Malibu Sunshine

John Doe1 wrote: »
    You know if put malibu sunshine backwards and replace a few letters it spells boards.ie payroll:p

Lies.

I just tried it.

Advertisement