Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting on BTEA Payment

Options
  • 28-12-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi
    I'm on BTEA and got a double payment on the 13th December to cover both that week and the week beginning the 20th. I usually get my payment transferred to my bank account on Thursdays. My next payment was due yesterday (week beginning the 27th) but nothing in my bank!

Is Anyone else in this boat?
    Will they pay double again next week (the 3rd, to cover for the missed 27th)

Sorry if this is confusing with all the dates but anyone who gets their BTEA on Thursdays might understand easier.

Will be tough to manage another week without money, rent due on the 2nd !!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I got double a fortnight ago and normal payment last thursday but nothing this week on account of the double - next thursday will be the next day I'm due a payment.

It really is a pain in the hole, money disappears too easily over Christmas :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Double came in on the 13th and a single on the 20th. Check your statement for the 20th in case you missed it. If its not there get onto SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 xiaoen

yeah I didn't get a payment on the 20th. Wonder what's up with that. They were randomly cutting students off here in Galway recently. Surely they wouldn't cut someone off the week of Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Blargh

I got a double on the 13th im in the same situation as op was ment to get my payment thursday the 27th from galway city SW.

Its left me really stuck im going heading into the bank tomorrow to get a statement and see whats going on.

Hey Blargh, I've been able to check my balance online and definitely no payment. This is really bad form by the department. To do this on Christmas week without any prior notice. I've got rent due on the 2nd which cannot now be paid and no idea as to when I will have the money to pay it. I know it doesn't help you but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in this situation as it may mean this is common to all students receiving payments from the Galway office

Got this from welfare.ie: (still doesn't help though)

Payment directly to an account in a financial institution – (Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT))
    Weekly Payments
    Customers paid weekly will receive their normal payment(s) and an advance payment during the week beginning Monday 10 December, 2012. The advance payment will be the payment(s) due in the week beginning Monday 17 December 2012 (excluding Carers Benefit, Disablement Benefit, Maternity Benefit and Health & Safety Benefit Payments).

Payments for Maternity Benefit and Health & Safety Benefit due Thursday 20 December 2012 will be paid on the Monday 17 December 2012.

All payments due the week commencing 24 December 2012 will be paid on your normal payment day the week commencing 17 December 2012.

Payments due on Monday 31 December 2012 for Jobseekers Allowance, Jobseekers Benefit, Illness Benefit, Partial Capacity Benefit and Supplementary Welfare Allowance will be paid on Friday 21 December 2012.

Payments due on Tuesday 1 January 2013 for Jobseekers Allowance, Jobseekers Benefit, Illness Benefit, Partial Capacity Benefit and Basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance will be paid on Monday 31 December 2012.

Payments for Child Benefit and Household Benefit due on Tuesday 1 January 2013 will be paid on Tuesday 1 January 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Smudge357

....and there I was thinking I was the god of all f-ups and managed to somehow spend a weeks worth of payment without realizing.

If someone finds out what is going on could they let the rest of us know!?

Are you in Galway too Smudge?

Yeah I'm in Galway aswell, I'm meant to get the payment into my account every Thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Blargh

did anyone figure out what was going on?

I checked my account today and again no payment so I went into the BTEA office this morning. Arrived at 9 am. Sign on the door says reception open at 9.30. Waited until 10.30 for someone to appear at reception. The lady there told me that my payment was (probably) stopped because I hadn't submitted a stamped letter from the university confirming that I was still a registered student. She wasn't able to confirm this as apparently the BTEA officers are too busy to see anyone. Not too busy to cut people off the week before Christmas though! So, I went back to the uni and got the letter and just submitted it about half an hour ago so again another anxious week begins not knowing if that was indeed the reason my payments have been stopped.

I was never asked to supply such a letter and have checked welfare.ie and nowhere does it state that every student is required to submit one. The following link states the conditions for BTEA

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

The only part referring to this letter is:

"During the course of the academic year, you may be asked to provide confirmation that you are still taking part in the course."

Like I said I was never asked to supply such a letter.

While I appreciate the fact that I'm entitled to such benefits and they are helping me acquire a university degree, why are we being treated like charity cases? It feels so demeaning to have to go in there again looking for money which I was under the impression I was guaranteed until I finished my degree. Rent, esb and car tax have all been put on hold until next week and, as is the way in this country, if you are too poor to pay for something on time you get charged extra! I absolutely cannot wait to finish my degree and by all means necessary I will not be going on the dole when I finish. The less interaction I have with any state organisations the better.

Hope this is sorted next week and hope the rest of you guys get sorted out too.

• Advertisement

I'll go in in an hour or so to find out if this is the same reason why mine has been stopped, I assume I also haven't received payment for this same reason.

It will be interesting what to see what they have to say as I definitely have handed in all the information and documents they needed, as I remember being annoyed when I already got a letter months telling me to bring the information in or else my payment would be cut off, i.e., we have lost or not filed your documents, please fix our mistakes immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

xiaoen wrote: »
    The lady there told me that my payment was (probably) stopped because I hadn't submitted a stamped letter from the university confirming that I was still a registered student.

I was never asked to supply such a letter and have checked welfare.ie and nowhere does it state that every student is required to submit one. The following link states the conditions for BTEA

I remember last year I was asked to confirm I was still in college but that was for the second semester. Sent it and there was no issue. Never heard of the before Christmas though.

Advertisement