Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin or TomTom

Options
  • 28-12-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I am going to buy a Sat Nav shortly. I have a fair idea what features I want and what to spend BUT on reading website customer reviews people tend to prefer the TomTom, is this the case?

So what do fellow users recommend? Garmin or TomTom?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They are the 2 top brands for GPS.
    The only real difference is TT have live services like Traffic , live search and weather and the ability to correct maps on your device.
    Garmin have TMC traffic which is received via a radio receiver. I'm not sure of the coverage on that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭eirman

If you want to keep your TomTom mapping up to date, you have to purchase a map update every year .... Bad value in the long run.

I recommend a Garmin complete with lifetime map updates.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A good point eirman. Its also worth mentioning the Garmin deal is tied to a single device and can not be transferred to a new one. TomTom accounts can be transferred to another device. TomTom also offer a latest map guarantee. This means when you register your device you are automatically entitled to the newest map available at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭eirman

KoolKid wrote: »
    TomTom also offer a latest map guarantee. This means when you register your device you are automatically entitled to the newest map available at that time.

Ditto for Garmin .... The latest free map update is available on Garmin Products within 60 days of first operation.

I think we'll always disagree on this G/TT issue KoolKid!

Advertisement