Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker Impedance suitable for AV Receiver?

Options
  • 28-12-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V473 AV receiver and the Wharfdale DX-1 HCP speaker set. Whilst reading through the user manual for the receiver I noticed it recommends using speakers that have an impedance of no less than 6-ohm. However, having performed some Google searches it appear my speakers are 4-ohm.

So the question is... Is there anything to be concerned about with speakers having a lower ohm than the receiver manufacturers recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

mac_daddy wrote: »
    Hi all

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V473 AV receiver and the Wharfdale DX-1 HCP speaker set. Whilst reading through the user manual for the receiver I noticed it recommends using speakers that have an impedance of no less than 6-ohm. However, having performed some Google searches it appear my speakers are 4-ohm.

So the question is... Is there anything to be concerned about with speakers having a lower ohm than the receiver manufacturers recommend?

Thanks
    Yes, it can seriously damage the circuitry in the amp. However, using a higher impedance is fine, it simply lowers the wattage output of the amp. You can however, link low impedance speakers of the same rating in parallel which effectively double the impedance, but then you would need twice as many speakers :)
    In simple terms, don't use those speakers unles you want to damage the amp or seriously shorten it's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

WillyFXP wrote: »
    You can however, link low impedance speakers of the same rating in parallel which effectively double the impedance, but then you would need twice as many speakers :)

You need to connect two resistors in series in order to get double the impedance.

So two 4 ohm speakers connected in series would give a resistance of 8 ohms. Connecting two of them in parallel would give a resistance of just 2 ohms (1/n = 1/4 + 1/4) which would be worse than connecting a single one.

Advertisement