Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Trainer Advice

Options
  • 28-12-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭

Noticed this bad boy on special offer in Halfords at the minute.
    Haven't a bulls about the things, but have been meaning to get one. Is it an alright yoke, or are there better for similar money?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

I have that one and find it's grand. Nothing fancy does the basics. Price seems about the going rate though I think that model is discontinued now so hard to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Decathalon in Northern Ireland are selling the Tacx Satori Pro for £129.99 which works out at €158.72 according to Xe.com.

The only drawback is you need an NI address to get it delivered to there and delivery is £9.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Lemlin wrote: »
    Decathalon in Northern Ireland are selling the Tacx Satori Pro for £129.99 which works out at €158.72 according to Xe.com.
    As a matter of interest - would the Tacx be a better option than the Elite one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Picked it up yesterday. It's an Elite Volare. Still in the box but will get it sorted today. Need to move my sensor to the back wheel too.

Might try pick up a 500 with cadence for optimum training. They're pricey bloody things though! :(

Soarer wrote: »
    Picked it up yesterday. It's an Elite Volare. Still in the box but will get it sorted today. Need to move my sensor to the back wheel too.

Might try pick up a 500 with cadence for optimum training. They're pricey bloody things though! :(

Have a look at http://www.trainerroad.com/ hardware set up will cost about €60 and you'll be training with power and cadence. I got one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Speed-Cadence-Sensor-Forerunner/dp/B000BFNOT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356783270&sr=8-1
    one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suunto-SS016591000-Mini-Movestick/dp/B0050GL5GM/ref=sr_1_66?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1356783323&sr=1-66 used my laptop and was good to go.
    I started a few weeks ago and find it brilliant. After the initial free month it costs €7.50 a month and you can cancel any time (summer).

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info jinky. You don't by any chance know if trainerroad is iPhone compatible? The Garmin Ant+ adaptor for the phone is pretty much the same price as the one you linked to, so would rather go that route than bringing the laptop to the shed!
    I did a search in the App store and couldn't find anything from trainerroad. That said I'm on the phone so my searching abilities are reduced!

Soarer an iPhone app is scheduled for Spring 2013 according to their support page.

Thanks again for that.

Meant to edit my post when I checked their page! Bought the Garmin Cadence Sensor and the Garmin ANT+ USB stick. The stick was reduced to less than £27 too, so both delivered came in at less than £55. Happy out with that.

Just to follow up on this...

I bought a cadence meter and an Ant stick, and also registered for trainerroad. Jumped on the bike raring to go, and only lasted half of the route I'd chosen! Doesn't take long to lose the fitness!

Anyways, had the app running on the laptop in front of a documentary and I was happy out. Only thing I couldn't figure out was the cadence. I was able to follow the power meter fine, but didn't know what my cadence should be at. Kept it up over 70 as best I could.
    It was obviously a balancing act between the power meter (which seems to be the default guage to follow), and keeping the cadence up.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

P.S. You don't half sweat on the trainer!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Any ideas?

I try to keep over 80 on the cadence, averaged 85 on a one hour spin on the turbo yesterday, with tacx software reporting average power output of 251w over the same period. FWIW, I think the power figure is absolute tat unless you can properly calibrate it with access to a power meter. (I can't). That said, I find sustaining a higher reported power output much easier with higher cadence and lower gears than higher gears and lower cadence. I'm usually aiming to hold 90 rpm where I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I bought a cadence meter and an Ant stick, and also registered for trainerroad. Jumped on the bike raring to go, and only lasted half of the route I'd chosen! Doesn't take long to lose the fitness!

If you fancy the challenge Goldencheetah supports a "train" mode. It uses the ANT+ stick on your computer to connect ot whatever sensors you have and sticks the numbers on the screen in front of you. It will also "play" a streetview video of a route as you ride along or a allow you to follow workouts you have on your computer. It's pretty cool if a bit under documented. It's open sourced though so the cheap options

The development is quite active but here's a video of the basic workout mode:

Here's a fit file if you want to "climb" Alpe d'Huez. I haven't tried it but ...

Anyways, had the app running on the laptop in front of a documentary and I was happy out. Only thing I couldn't figure out was the cadence. I was able to follow the power meter fine, but didn't know what my cadence should be at. Kept it up over 70 as best I could.
    It was obviously a balancing act between the power meter (which seems to be the default guage to follow), and keeping the cadence up.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

P.S. You don't half sweat on the trainer!

Did you do the '8-minute' or '20-minute' test to start off with? Once you do either of these tests it gives you a suggested FTP (functional threshold power) from then on all the workouts are scaled to suit that FTP.

Some workouts are set up with suggested cadences but if not you should maybe use your gears to work on areas you think need it. I have almost completed the Intermediate Base 1 plan and find it a great starting point.

Remember if you do one of the tests then the set up is calibrated to your fitness level so the absolute accuracy of the wattage displayed is not an issue, just remember to keep your tyres at the same pressure for each ride.

Advertisement