Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a boxer pup

Options
  • 28-12-2012 5:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So my brother used to have 2 boxer dogs and I loved them to bits but unfortunately we had to give them both away due to our living conditions. I have now moved out of my family home and am looking to get a new boxer pup and I was wondering where's the best place to buy them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

firstly I would get a book or do some real research into the breed so you know what you are getting into when it comes to temperament and health problems.

Have your living conditions improved? Do you have the space for what will be a large dog? Can you afford to feed it and keep it for the next 15 years? Do you have time for walks in the morning and in the afternoon plus extra on the weekend? Can you afford insurance/vet bills for the health problems that come with pure breeds? (There are now more genetic disorders than breeds!)

If you have answered (honestly) yes to all these questions, only then would I start considering it.

I personally would never buy a boxer. I would adopt from a suitable, well run shelter. Don't support the breeders who have caused the overpopulation of dogs in this country. Over 5000 were put down this year alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LorBarry

Irishchick wrote: »
    firstly I would get a book or do some real research into the breed so you know what you are getting into when it comes to temperament and health problems.

Yeah, I was gonna buy a few dog books, to help with training him and all that.
    Have your living conditions improved? Do you have the space for what will be a large dog? Can you afford to feed it and keep it for the next 15 years? Do you have time for walks in the morning and in the afternoon plus extra on the weekend? Can you afford insurance/vet bills for the health problems that come with pure breeds? (There are now more genetic disorders than breeds!)

I now live with my bf and two other lads in a big enough house with a grand size back garden for the dog. My bf is currently unemployed so he'll be at home with the dog most of the time and I'll make sure the dog gets a walk of one of us everyday. I'd forgotten about the pet insurance until the other day but have all that sorted out and everything now. I've been thinking about getting a dog for about 6 months now, I've literally went over everything in my head a hundred times making sure I could look after a dog and give him the attention he needs.
    If you have answered (honestly) yes to all these questions, only then would I start considering it.

I personally would never buy a boxer. I would adopt from a suitable, well run shelter. Don't support the breeders who have caused the overpopulation of dogs in this country. Over 5000 were put down this year alone.

Ya see the only type of dog I want to get is a boxer and it is so hard to find them in pounds. I have found one who I am going to see on monday but if that doesn't work out I'll have to go to a breeder. Like I would much rather get a dog from a pound or animal rescue center but at the same time I only want to get a boxer and amn't really willing to settle for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Was in <snip> today and they have a young boxer for rehoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LorBarry

Rafloution wrote: »
    Was in <snip> today and they have a young boxer for rehoming.

No way! Is <snip> based in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I see boxers all the time in rescue, they are a very common breed here, if you want to adopt one I'm sure that you will find one of you look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Have to agree with the others. Do everything you can to try and get the dog from a pound. Its a little harder seen as you have a breed in mind. When we got both our dogs we went to a local shelter and just went with the one we were drawn to. Keep an eye out and tell the local shelter to keep a boxer for you if they get one in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'll try and give a bit of balance to this thread and would suggest you contact the Boxer Breed Club Secretary and get a list of suitable breeders. Ask to see both the male and female parents and ask for a copy of their respective health scores. There are plenty of respectible breeders out there. Don't let this place tar them all with the same brush.

Here is some links.

http://www.boxers-ireland.com/newsandresults.php

http://www.ikc.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Honestly, I would be more inclined to go to a breeder who hipscores and has their heart checks done than take the risk with a rescue. Boxers, pugs and cavaliers are three breeds I just would not take the risk with when they have so many health problems. I'm thinking about getting a boxer in a year or so and will most likely be going to a breeder because I want a pup from health tested parents, and with a tail. Obviously not all rescue dogs are going to have issues, but that's just my feelings on boxers in particular. If you are going to go to a breeder OP, then most definitely make sure they are responsible; the litter should only have been bred if the parents have been health tested. Unless they have the results of these tests, walk away

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, as before on a similar thread, the suggestion that the OP considers a rescue dog has now been made. As the OP initially said they want to buy a pup, let's get back on track and discuss this, unless OP specifically states that they'd like to actively explore the rescue option.
    Can I also remind everyone that naming rescues on-thread contravenes the forum charter. If OP invites suggestions for rescue, please only discuss individual rescues via PM.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 20 CleoD

[QUOTE=There are plenty of respectible breeders out there. Don't let this place tar them all with the same brush.

Here is some links.

http://www.boxers-ireland.com/newsandresults.php

http://www.ikc.ie/[/QUOTE]

I second this, and if you are going down the buying a dog route then the links that have been provided will put you in touch with reputable breeders. A word of warning, the majority (not all but most) of the so called breeders on some of the classified ad websites (I'm not sure if I can name them here, but I am sure you will know the ones being referred to) are actually puppy farms, and this is one area you will want to stay away from. Ensure that you go to the breeders house, ask to see health check etc, a respectable breeder will have no problem with you asking questions, a puppy farm owner will meet you in a car park, will have no papers and no proof of mother/father. All the best with your pup, I have a boxer and shes my baby. I'd be lost without her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

LorBarry wrote: »
    unfortunately we had to give them both away due to our living conditions.

What happens next time your conditions change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

if this is against the forum charter etc then i apologise and please delete. Im not affilitated to this rescue but i just had to post this - came across it on facebook,

<snip>
    Sorry W4E, it is indeed against the charter: I understand that your intentions are to illustrate that Boxers are currently available via rescues/pounds: indeed at one stage in Ireland there were two Boxer Rescues, which goes to show how many of them need help.
    You're okay to send this link to the OP by PM if you wish
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

What happens next time your conditions change?

Have to say this occured to me too when I read your later post re living with partner and friends. Please correct me if Im wrong but Im assuming you are renting what happens if your friends leave and/or you have to change accommodation? Will you be able to rent again with a dog or are you prepared to live in a less than desired place to keep your dog ?

Advertisement