Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VERY slow news day(s)

Options
  • 28-12-2012 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Just catching up on the news today and independent.ie headlines are:

"Over 70pc of homeowners have paid household charge, says Phil Hogan"
    "'I love my wedding dress so much, I’ve worn it three times,' Caroline Morahan reveals"

And over at breakingnews.ie we have:
    "Hill walkers rescued after straying into live army firing range
    Five hill walkers had to be rescued today after straying into a live army firing range in Wicklow"

I know the old saying "no news is good news" but surely this is taking the p1ss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

News just in: A thread has just been opened on boards.ie on how little news there is today. We'll keep you updated as this one develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the indo website is an absolute load of bollox. it used to be handy but now these half ar5ed 'famous' people are getting their stories up near the top of the page. usually some model we've never heard of having a hissy fit.
    better off finding news somewhere else really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

"Coming up on Sky News, we talk to more shoppers as businesses report busy trade again today ..." That's not news :mad:

Henry Cooper died the same day as Osama Bin Laden and barely got a mention. If he passed away today he would have most of the news devoted to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

RTE Radio 1 News at 7am and again at 8am consisted on three articles on the U.S. and one on S.Africa. No home news at all. Crap service tbh as there is always so much foreign news. I think the Govt have them warned off i.e. no more bad news on the economy or Govt mistakes.

News Update: A number of posters have, perhaps unsurprisingly, used the 'slow news' thread to attack traditional media outlets. I'm not wearing any pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LiffeyValleyB

Does this mean something really big is gonna happen here in the next few days? Any predictions? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Does this mean something really big is gonna happen here in the next few days? Any predictions? :eek:

paging Run 2 Da Hills.....

story about something that won't happen required...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

News Update: A number of posters have, perhaps unsurprisingly, used the 'slow news' thread to attack traditional media outlets. I'm not wearing any pants.

You have lovely legs :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

The world is going to end for the 1000000000000000 time this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Chucken wrote: »

You have lovely legs :):D
    How do you know he/she has legs

Stalker!!!!!

This just in: A hat has not been found in a tree. Just to clarify, no hat in a tree. More to follow from 'Giant Head Floating in a Jar News' later. Stay with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Just catching up on the news today and independent.ie headlines are:

"Over 70pc of homeowners have paid household charge, says Phil Hogan"
    "'I love my wedding dress so much, I’ve worn it three times,' Caroline Morahan reveals"

And over at breakingnews.ie we have:
    "Hill walkers rescued after straying into live army firing range
    Five hill walkers had to be rescued today after straying into a live army firing range in Wicklow"

I know the old saying "no news is good news" but surely this is taking the p1ss?
    Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Skid wrote: »

Henry Cooper died the same day as Osama Bin Laden and barely got a mention. If he passed away today he would have most of the news devoted to him.

Such is life when someone more famous/infamous dies on the same day as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

RTE Radio 1 News at 7am and again at 8am consisted on three articles on the U.S. and one on S.Africa. No home news at all. Crap service tbh as there is always so much foreign news. I think the Govt have them warned off i.e. no more bad news on the economy or Govt mistakes.

As I put it to a RTÉ reporter recently "You guys are really good at reporting critical news - elsewhere".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I drove through Kilmainham today and there was the worlds supply of gardai there with a road cordoned off. Not a thing on the news though. Maybe we don't get the full story?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Pottler wrote: »
    I drove through Kilmainham today and there was the worlds supply of gardai there with a road cordoned off. Not a thing on the news though. Maybe we don't get the full story?

New McDonalds opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

There was one day when there was no news on the news. They played music. This was before WW2 if my recollection of QI is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

There was one day when there was no news on the news. They played music. This was before WW2 if my recollection of QI is correct.

It was also in England. Not applicable to our own little isle, but a nice tidbit.
    I want to punch Alan Davies so much at this stage. Always ruining the craic by butting in on other peoples stuff and impersonating other peoples impersonations and the like. It's such a cheap thing to keep doing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

1953 and IIRC some African dignitary died in time for the evening news

The Eastern Europeans won't forgive the UK / France / Israel for taking back the Suez Canal

They really should do something like One hour of News + Nationwide every day

on slow news days they show more of nationwide and visa versa

Would be nice to do a one year follow on of Car crashes (and other stories) , and say if any one died / lost legs / jailed etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I would like to see this Rolling News when there is no real news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

Good Friday, April 18th, 1930

(source: S. Pip)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Technically isn't it good that there is no big news? No murders/car crashes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Jesus, I saw this on the Journal and thought there'd be a thread here for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I'll take a bit of world news over "Mick Wallace wore a lime green number today" or "A call center in Ballinasloe announced three new jobs today". Such rubbish non-stories seem to take precedence on RTE while huge events go on outside the country and aren't reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Here.

Pigeons. Cat. Pigeons.

The Sinn Fein TD who is linked to 50 murders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Breaking news in the monkey snapper world is I can't fart today because I'm in a car full of people for around 2 hours that I hardly know. Experts have said farting is a very natural response to the condition that I have and I should be more worried about a follow through.

More to follow on this story as news breaks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

MadsL wrote: »
    Here.

Pigeons. Cat. Pigeons.

The Sinn Fein TD who is linked to 50 murders
    When asked if he disputed the claims, he said: "I don't want to comment on anything said by the Brits. I wouldn't be bothered."

Can you imagine if these ****wits got anywhere near government? Jesus it would be scary. A lot of these guys are just scum in suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

I woke up at 3am because I had a bad dose of indigestion, so I put a spoon of bread soda in water.

Now my bowels are fizzing away and I can't go back to sleep because I'm farting too much.

Damn you apache pizza !!!!!

All I've got to look forward to is a load of fizzy arse gravy getting sprayed down the bog in a while.

Very slow news day indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

All I've got to look forward to is a load of fizzy arse gravy getting sprayed down the bog in a while.

Thank you for the mental image. :mad:

Advertisement