Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early twenties, in need of a life.

Options
  • 27-12-2012 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

The issue of this thread may pale in significance to other issues on here, but I'd appreciate advice nonetheless. I'm a guy in my early twenties, and I've found that at certain times of the year my life can be boring and it gets me down. I've only two main groups of mates (a lot of whom are in relationships) and I'd see them mainly at weekends for a few drinks or whatever. But I've found that say during times of being on holiday from college, my life becomes extremely boring. Outside of drinking/heading out the odd time, I've got literally nothing to do. The friends I have aren't really the type to wanna do anything during the day so I find myself confined to my bedroom several days a week sitting on the computer. I'm sure most normal twenty something year olds aren't stuck in their rooms doing nothing, so what do I do? I don't even know where to start really. I'm a decent looking guy but it's not exactly as simple as just walking out and getting a girlfriend (which would obviously be one solution to my boredom) I've searched over the internet for hobbies around my area that I'd be into, but I'm only really into football and it doesn't seem easy at all to find similar ages people looking for a game in my area. I'm not sure what other people of my age do with their time during the week. I can be a bit pessimistic sometimes, and the pessimistic thoughts stemming from this are im in what is meant to be one of the more enjoyable periods of life, yet im not out enjoying myself every day. Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Open up your horizons to other things if football isn't a viable option right now.

What about a musical instrument? What about a martial arts class for a bit of physicality? What about a course on art/science/music/anything you are into?

You can't shut down all avenues, otherwise there IS nothing to do. Get to a class of some kind and see what avenues open up. You may find hobbies/interests/friends you'd never otherwise have considered and you may LOVE them!

Join a gym maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Open up your horizons to other things if football isn't a viable option right now.

What about a musical instrument? What about a martial arts class for a bit of physicality? What about a course on art/science/music/anything you are into?

You can't shut down all avenues, otherwise there IS nothing to do. Get to a class of some kind and see what avenues open up. You may find hobbies/interests/friends you'd never otherwise have considered and you may LOVE them!

Join a gym maybe?

I'm not sure if any of them appeal. I'm already a member of a gym, but its in college. Also the gym is pretty much a solo activity. Same for playing an instrument (haven't got the cash to take classes) I see plenty of people my age constantly logged into Facebook so maybe I'm not the only one who goes through phases of boredom. It'd just be nice to have something to do during the week. What do people my age usually do with their time? Specifically talking about people still in college and not employed

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Don't despair op, an awful lot of people are in the exact same boat as you when it comes to college holidays. A lot of just sitting at home with family or in their room chillin, I wouldn't believe half of what you see on facebook either. Some people have a pure dry night but the facebook pics could make it seem like they are having a ball.
    Of course there are people who are actually going out doing things, but just letting you know that you are in no ways alone or highly unusual to have a bit of a quieter social life.

There are usually football groups in college. Sometimes one training session is for the college team who play competitively, but there may be another which is just for a social kickabout for fun. You would have to enquire with your student union, because often not all clubs are listed publically.

If you have some single friends, and they are mentioning plans about going somewhere, you could just say "wouldn't mind doing that myself, sounds like a bit of craic" and hopefully they will then invite you along, or if they don't get the hint you could just ask them could ya meet up with them later. It takes a little bit of bravery to put yourself out there, but 99% of the time people are open to being friendly and having someone new along, and if they are not you are better of finding sounder people to be friends with, so you could see it as no skin of your nose if that happens!

Do you have any brothers or sisters or other family members that you could hang about with during the holidays? Maybe because as you say you spend a lot of time in your room, they take that as a hint that you just don't want to go anywhere, and that you prefer being alone.? If you come up with an idea to do something, you could just ask them and they might just surprise you by going a long with it.
    Definitely reach out and make an effort with people if you feel a bit lonely. It could pay off by you having much more fun than you are having at the minute.
    Best of luck op!

Advertisement