Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best unix distro for 1gigabyte usb install

Options
  • 27-12-2012 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

I have an old athlon 2.o ghz mini pc , 1gig ram,I want to install unix using a 1gig
    usb drive.IS there any usb distro that is use to install from usb ,i want something a bitter more advanced to dsl damn small linux, eg mint 9.
    THE dvd drive doesnt seem to be working,on the athlon pc. I can use my hp pc to download iso,s.
    in the new year ill put in a new dvd drive, ide type .The mobo has no sata connectors.just 2 ide ports.
    I wanna use it as a back up pc,and for storage.
    i want a distro thats easy to install,via usb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Lubuntu should be a good fit for that hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Just got ubuntu installed 32bit version,from a 2gig usb drive, there,s alot of interference
    ,hazy red lines across the screen , i think i,ll have to put in a replacement
    video card ,theres 1 agp slot avaidable.,

I JUST put in a geforce 2mx card, everything looks fine, no lines,or distortion onscreen.
    when i get a dvd drive, ill install mint version 10 ,32bit .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

riclad wrote: »
    I JUST put in a geforce 2mx card, everything looks fine, no lines,or distortion onscreen.
    when i get a dvd drive, ill install mint version 10 ,32bit .

Mint 10 has been obsolete since April 2012.

http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

I know, i want an older version ,it,ll be used as backup pc,i have only gig ram, no need to have the latest distro.
    i got dvd drive working by switching jumper to slave ,it was set as master.
    its a spare pc, most of the time it,ll be switched off.my main pc is hp windows 7 .i ,ll install the latest version of mint on the hp, pc,when i have another 4gig ram installed .
    dvd drive was in conflict with hd 1, due to master settings.ie they are ide drives.
    i had to go to electronic recycling finglas, 6 months ago,to get a mini psu ,small enough to fit inside the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

riclad wrote: »
    I know, i want an older version ,it,ll be used as backup pc,i have only gig ram, no need to have the latest distro.

Mint 14 runs perfectly well on 512k of Ram for me. And I installed it from USB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

puppylinux is worth a look too

knoppix but only as a "poor mans install", it breaks badly if you try to update it

Advertisement