Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio technique books?

Options
  • 27-12-2012 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend any books or instructional DVD set which focuses on radio techniques - for example how to conduct a good interview, and how to control the flow of a talk radio show?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

If you find one hit me up! I don't think there's any real technique, obviously it depends on the station format, I know you've mentioned it's a talk show but the format decides the age and the age decides the topics. I'd recommend checking out Brian McColl this man is like a walking radio himself. He knows the in's and out's of things, and he just gets it. He can explain that thing you've been thinking in your head for ages in a really clever way and never fails to impress. He runs presenter workshops and lessons through Skype etc.

He's got a soundcloud account too: https://soundcloud.com/nailsmahoney/

Hope that helped,

Cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Looking more for a technique book Joe, but thanks bud.

Cookie Policy, that sounds more to my likings - Cheers! I actually think I came across one of his videos last night on youtube while I was searching, but didn't watch it. Will check him out now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If you find one hit me up! I don't think there's any real technique, obviously it depends on the station format, I know you've mentioned it's a talk show but the format decides the age and the age decides the topics. I'd recommend checking out Brian McColl this man is like a walking radio himself. He knows the in's and out's of things, and he just gets it. He can explain that thing you've been thinking in your head for ages in a really clever way and never fails to impress. He runs presenter workshops and lessons through Skype etc.

He's got a soundcloud account too: https://soundcloud.com/nailsmahoney/

Hope that helped,

Cook.

Massive +1 from me. I know Brian... great guy and total radio master. Couldn't recommend his services any more highly. Hopefully he'll start up the workshops again... http://www.bmacmedia.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I contacted Brian and he said there will be workshops running again this year in Feb or March in Dublin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

+1 for Brian- try get his workshop CD. Well worth a listen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Massive +1 for Brian.

He has a few clips on YouTube of his workshops, and the CD that highlydebased recommended is indeed well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Look for Dan O'Day's books.

American, so be careful that you don't pick up too many better habits than most presenters here!

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrettyPolly155

Valerie Geller's book is pretty good, 'Beyond Powerful Radio', it's an updated/slightly changed version of her first book 'Creating Powerful Radio'.. which I tried to get but was impossible to find. It's good for dipping in and out of.

Advertisement