Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Fees, Postgrad - SUSI

Options
  • 27-12-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

So I am still trying to get through the SUSI system. Despite applying within 24hrs of the application system opening and supplying all documentation, and more documentation etc etc. Essentially I'm in an unusual position of studying for a postgrad degree having never acquired an undergrad degree. I was advised to do this after applying for a BA and sitting MSAP and being told I could do this.

Now because I have been on JSA for the last three years, with occasional short term contracts in between, I qualified for... and have been receiving BTEA. [That was the one I thought I'd have an issue with... not SUSI] I am below the threshold for income that would mean being awarded full tuition fees through SUSI... I have never availed of Free Fees. However we all know that SUSI is a mess and while all I want is my Tuition Fees paid... they are finding excuse after excuse to delay the process. I innocently asked in a recent communication via the Facebook page... if I qualified for Free Fees anyway as I had never availed of them obviously and that's all I was applying to SUSI for as I am obviously getting BTEA. To which I received the reply that Free Fees is something that the colleges organise. ???

Now of course all I can find about that is that Free Fees is for Undergrad courses. So does this all put me in a catch 22 ? As far as I am aware I still had to apply to SUSI and not the local VEC or college.

I just get the impression that because I am not an Atypical case I just keep getting shunted from pillar to post.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I honestly don't see a problem. If you qualify for the fee grant then there should be no issue.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Indeed there should be no problem... But then we are dealing with the SUSI system... and the fact that someone there has told me that I should go to the college to sort out Free Fees... Which can't be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fatboydim wrote: »
    Indeed there should be no problem... But then we are dealing with the SUSI system... and the fact that someone there has told me that I should go to the college to sort out Free Fees... Which can't be right.

No...it's not right

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement