Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New Years Resolutions

Options
  • 27-12-2012 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

So, I did a quick search and couldn't find a thread for this year, but found this one from last year.

If you posted in there, how did you do?

Mine so far, for this year are going to be:
    1. This
    2. Continue keeping fit and not eating (too much) crap
    3. Take up something new, I'm considering a midi Keyboard to start.
    4. Stop buying stuff I don't want but don't necessarily need.
    5. Be more grateful to my family, I'm not ungrateful but I should show it more!

So, what are everyone else's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Found mine from last year, and am proud to say i kept every single one of them :D
    1- Get taller
    2- Be less shy and put myself out there a bit more
    3- Stop being ashamed of my nerdiness
    4- Become less alienated from a majority of my year..
    5- Actually keep these resolutions

I've found it hard to think of ones for this year, because, as full-of-myself as it sounds, im really happy with my life right now, and in the past year I've overcome and dealt with a lot of crap, and I'm so much happier now :)

but ive settled on these:

1) Try and do well in school, because ive started to slip a bit..
    2) Try and be a good girlfriend/not **** up anything :L
    3) Stop worrying so much about consequences of stupid little decisions and live in the moment a bit more...(YOLO loike...:pac:)
    4) Be happy, and enjoy life for what it is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I think I did okay with last year's resolutions / to-do list :)

1. Get into Medicine - YAY!
    2. Do a skydive - YAY!
    3. Become fit. Properly fit. Not just temporarily either. And be less fat. - Kind of, a small bit...!
    4. Actually get pissed off if for some reason I can't go out, rather than being secretly relieved every single time. - YAY!
    5. Go on a holiday. Never been on a proper holiday - NO :(
    6. Help someone in a big way - Not an individual, really :( But I am on the committee of two charitable societies in college, if that counts
    7. Finally buy a drum kit - NO :(
    8. Pass le driving test - NO :(
    9. Get a job for summer (likely needed to fund other items on the list) - Sort of. It wasn't regular work
    10. 366 day challenge! Read for at least 20 minutes every day. - I think this ended on day 2 :P Although I am reading the Book Thief now and I'm more than 10 pages in!! :cool:

I'll have to think of good ones this year :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Mine from last year:
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    VERY POSSIBLE

1. Stop living in the past, quit trying to save dying friendships and actually put in some work to make the new ones I've made over the past few months stronger.
    2. Go out more. Have fun. Drink. Stop locking myself away behind the excuse of study.
    3. Actually study, don't just say I will and then spend hours on Facebook/boards.

DIFFICULT
    4. Learn to play at least one song on guitar.
    5. Get at least one A1 in the summer exams. (Modesty aside)I could aim higher, but going by this semester I think it might be best to aim for a gradual improvement.
    7. Learn to count. :pac: :pac: :pac:
    8. Lose weight.

NIGH ON IMPOSSIBLE
    9. Be less of an indecisive person.
    10. Get a girlfriend. :pac:

1. Sort of, but this fell apart in the last few months of the year and I fell back into old habits.
    2. Nope. If anything, I got worse throughout the year after failing exams.
    3. Yes. I did pretty decent in my Summer exams, and worked my ass off during Autumn semester.

4. No. In fact, I totally gave up mid-January tbh. I will return to it one day, although I may go and get a RH electric instead of the LH acoustic I have.
    5. Yes. Leaving out the exam I failed, I actually did excellently in my exams.
    8. Failed miserably.

9. No. I'm even worse tbh.
    10. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Not a chance. :P

I'll come up with more realistic ones for next year. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

My New Year's Resolution: 1080p. Arf arf arf arf arf.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

My new years resolution is to allow myself time to come up with a decent one for 2014

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Make it to most of my lectures. Last semester went so well cos they were all in the afternoon. Back to 9am starts this semester though...

And that leads to...fix my sleeping pattern. I'd say I've gone to bed before 2/3am about twice in the last year. Its a disaster! Better sleeping plan means better at college but I can't make myself do it!

Keep on top of studying. Some day, for some exam, I'll be able to go to bed at 11pm the night before, worry free, instead of last minute study til 5am :rolleyes:

Stop spending money on unnecessary crap! Its depressing to look at how many coffees I have on my Students Union card from this year...I don't even want to think of how much money I've spent on that alone.

Learn some time management. And quit procrastinating. Highly unlikely :P

All of these failed miserably apart from the money one as I don't have any money now to spend on unnecessary crap :P So I'll just renew these resolutions and try again this year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

My New Year's resolution is to not bother with New Year's resolutions because I just never keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

Maura's 2013 Resolutions

1. To give less of a **** about people who don't give one about me.
    2. To spend more time studying throughout the year rather than let it build up and having to cram months of work into mere hours.
    3. To not fail first year. (See above).
    4. To exercise more and to TRY to eat better. (Subway stop being so tasty and close to where I live.)
    5. To sort out my love life or the lack there of.
    6. To stop acting such a gob****e whilst drunk.
    7. To be happier.
    8. To travel as much as I can with my limited funds.
    9. To waste even more time here than I already do. (And WIN a Jizzler. Second to an orgy.. Pfffft)

All achievable. Let's see what actually gets achieved this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

You know I've never actually made New Years Resolutions cos I've always said I'm not gunna bother trying to keep them anyway, but perhaps 2013 will be different!

So here it goes, gunna just think of these of the top of my head!

My List
    1. Pick up the guitar and make a real attempt at playing some songs, not just Wonderwall!

2. Go to the gym at least once a week.

3. Pass my 1st year college exams!!

Umm that's all I got for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Think this year has been one of the best years I've had. So hopefully next year will be just as good.

1. Pass my first year college exams.
    2. Get through the year without killing my housemates :P
    3. Try to eat better and go to the gym
    4. Try to stop losing everything.
    5. Try be a good girlfriend.
    6. Go on holidays to visit my friend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Last Year:
    SarahBeep! wrote: »
    1. Be healthier
    2. Work harder
    3. Be more positive
    4. Learn to be better with my money
    5. Get over stuff I struggle with :)

1. I hit a curve with that one, got better, but then regressed.
    2. 3rd Year of college was the first year I had no repeats to sit so I hope I can keep it up for 4th year.
    3. I think when I was positive this last year I was more positive than I have been in the past but the same can be applied to negativity, which sucks.
    4. Yup! Been a bit of an overspender this semester tho so I need to reign that in.
    5. I can't really remember what this is in relation to, to be totally honest.

1. Be happier.
    2. Finish college.
    3. At least look into jobs abroad.
    4. Do well in my thesis.
    5. Attempt to learn to play guitar.
    6. Reign in my emotions a bit, maybe it's just the hormones getting a last word in before I'm 21 but I find that when I feel an emotion it's always extreme, I wanna feel more balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AvAv

1. Study effectively.
    2. Get more involved here, it'l be grand.
    3. Tell family I love them. Saying "Sure you know" would earn your boyfriend a dig, so stop applying that to family and tell them!
    4. Go to the nurse in college. Its time to accept that those 'episodes' aren't going to stop and depression is a possibility.
    5. Finish that ridiculous backlog of games. NO MORE STEAM SALE BUYS DAMNIT.
    6. Find a job. Or work experience. Or anything. Give in a CV everywhere you can and this time when they say they'l get back to you, if they don't, go back to them!
    7. Play those P&P games with him. It will mean so much, insecurities have no place in these resolutions.
    8. Learn how to light the fire properly.
    9. Pass the driving test on the 2nd go!
    10. Start saving for swimming membership and get a bit healthier diet-wise in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Okay, I've got 'em!
    1. The universal 'be healthy, don't be fat' resolution
    2. Do well in exams
    3. Take a picture every day for the year... Not of myself; of whatever. Might be interesting!
    4. I want to try writing a short book (children's book?) and submit it to a publisher just to see what happens!
    5. Donate blood
    6. Learn to backflip (this year!!)
    7. Get a job for summer
    8. Also volunteer
    9. Do some random act of kindness like.. buy a hot meal for a rough sleeper or something..
    10. Hike and camp in a mountainy place
    11. Be a vegetarian for lent
    12. Read, of course

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've decided on a few.
    1. Be a nicer person in general: I think I've managed to f*ck this one up already, but I'm going to try harder to not act like a complete dickhead to everyone.
    2. Pass my exam in summer: This really isn't a resolution, more a goal. I need to pass this. And moreso, I need to get a decent grade in it to prove I can actually do this course.
    3. Learn Android.
    4. Try to stop spending so much time on the internet once college starts. That means you Boards. :\
    5. Get summer work, even if it's volunteering. Get something.
    6. Enquire about an internship at that company in Finland I've been saying I'd inquire to since last year.
    7. Obligatory health one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

2. To make a better list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Go to bed earlier..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 confusedlad

This is more of a to do list of some things i want to improve and experience
    1. Go out more
    2. Cycle to galway
    3. Get fit
    4. Walk my dog more
    5. Go to a celtic match
    6. Go to belfast and see ice hockey
    7. Eat a wagon wheel pizza to myself
    8. Be part of a guinness world record
    9. Have a pint in the guinness brewery
    10. Make one person smile everyday
    11. Build a shed/garage
    12. Visit amsterdam
    13. Sky dive or bunjee jump
    14. Go to an auction
    15. Go to a poker tournament
    16. Rebuild relationship with family
    17. Find a job i enjoy
    18. Learn irish. More than the basics.
    19. Join a club or society
    20. Learn to play instrument

If i got most of this done i would consider 2013 a good year begining with number 7 :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

1. Lose weight, get healthier. Get a gym membership when I can afford one.
    2. Look on the positive side of life.
    3. Take all my medication regularly. Don't ignore the phone reminders because I'm busy.
    4. Stop drinking so much. I don't drink often, but when I do I'm hammered.
    5. Pass my exams, actually study and work hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I've already completely messed up the be healthy and not fat one, but here's a few others I might be able to stick to:

Do the 'couch to 5k' challenge (in full, not just for a week or two like last time)
    Continue to be more social than I used to be (or go back to continuing to be more social than I used to be)
    Work weekends for the next semester (if the place I've just started working in has any weekend work for me - fingers crossed!)
    Get my first summer job and work for a summer
    Go abroad to work for a summer
    Avoid leaving college work and exam study until the last minute
    Spend less time on Boards and social networking sites
    Read at least two books this year, because one would be slightly too easy
    Pass the theory test, first time
    Start learning to drive (and therefore start to conquer my fear of driving)
    Man up and donate blood for the first time
    A golden semester would be nice but my first year results aren't counted so maybe a golden month instead (it's the thought that counts)

That's a lot, hopefully I'll stick to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I've decided to be nicer to my friends :) I'm kind of horrible to them :rolleyes:
    On the bright side I've been way nicer to my friends over the past four days :) I haven't made reference to how one of my friends looks creepily like Gretchen from Recess or how one of my other friends looks/sounds like a seal :) I've stopped posting mean pictures about my friend on her wall :) Like this one when she got a computer for Christmas:
    735014_457738970940849_1391699535_n.jpg
    and I've stopped saying mean things in general to them, like when one of my friends joked 'Are you from Tennessee, cause you're the only ten I see', I turned to them and said 'Are you from Macdoanlds, cause you're fat and greasy'. Anyways, I'm being nicer now and I think they like me better for it :)

Really need some other resolutions :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I've also decided to start a blog and a 365 day photo challenge :) I took four photos today to catch up :) I said I'd set up a tumblr and upload the photos there! And that way I can use it as a simultaneous blog :3

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I dunno, I dont really believe in New years resolutions(I know I wrote stuff last year but judging by how well that went..) but I guess it ties in with my overall self bettering plan. Im not even gonna write things down but I swear, no more arsing around. I NEED to get my life in order. Its taken me until today to realise how much I deprive myself of because of staying up late. The next day Im juust tired and mopey and lazy when there was so much I wanted to do.
    And like thats a huge factor as to why I cant study.. Why'd anyone choose to study when theyre still not fully awake. Need to get my life into gear before I cry at the pooyness of it all.

So, ehh to make this OT and not a rant... My new years resolution is to stick to my self bettering plan.
    Also, to stop singing in front of anyone; friends, sisters and randomers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

deise_girl wrote: »

Why bbz? I sing all the time too and I'm horrendous but like, it makes ya feel so happy :D Don't :P

My news resolution is to stop moaning.
    Although getting everything that bothering you out in the open is a good thing, maybe less moaning about the minor stupid things would be a good one.

And to actually study and keep up with my work and be a good student next semester.
    Although that probably won't happen :p But I can dream.

deise_girl wrote: »
    So, ehh to make this OT and not a rant... My new years resolution is to stick to my self bettering plan.

I hope this will not extend to posting the most random lyrics in IRC with elongated consonants? :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Why bbz? I sing all the time too and I'm horrendous but like, it makes ya feel so happy :D Don't :P

My news resolution is to stop moaning.
    Although getting everything that bothering you out in the open is a good thing, maybe less moaning about the minor stupid things would be a good one.

And to actually study and keep up with my work and be a good student next semester.
    Although that probably won't happen :p But I can dream.
    Ahh I think it weirds people out :P
    I dont even realise I am, and it gets loud and Im horrific to but it doesnt stop me and its just not good :P
    To stop whinging is part of my self bettering plan for basically the reasons you mentioned :)
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I hope this will not extend to posting the most random lyrics in IRC with elongated consonants? :eek:
    SEEE Even in the irc where yee cant hear me, I have to do something to get it across by typing extra letters or caps or whatevz :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I've also decided to start a blog

Woohoo, I wasn't the only one! :D

It's not really a resolution, but my pet project for the year will be to update my new blog once every day. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

More time-efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

1.Bring up all my results up to A/B's apart from irish, irish can **** off.
    2.Keep improving musically
    3.Get fitter
    4.Try and get a better social life..somehow :pac:
    5.Stop going on the internet,watching tv and playing video games so much.
    6.Be more positive :D

Yeaa bit late but this year is going to be awesome :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Ricky91t wrote: »
    2. Continue keeping fit and not eating (too much) crap

Just had 6 smarties cookies, pretty sure I've broken number 2, Gym tomorrow then! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Those cookies are absolute win I wouldn't beat yourself up about it!

Advertisement