Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolute Gent of a Man

Options
  • 27-12-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

This is a phrase I hear quite often. Do you use it? If so, what makes 'An absolute gent of a man'?

Some answer may include

1. A man who is charitable
    2. A man who offers a smile and a firm handshake upon meeting them
    3. A man who is good company around a feed of pints
    4. A man who is gentle but yet manly

I find men only use this phrase and use it when describing someone famous or well known, even though they have never met the person in question.

Example: Did you hear Obama got re elected? Ah yea I'm delighted for him, an absolute gent of a man.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Yet, I'm guessing you've never heard is said by someone under 40.

It means someone that's sound, and by that I mean... someone that's a complete gent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

"Absolute cúnt of a man" is one I find myself using more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Have heard English people using it.

The Irish Equivolent is usually "Hes a fookin legend"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Either there is a total ignorance to creating polls or the op is a.multiple account holder. This must be the 3rd inane thread with a numerical option that iv seen in 24 hours.

And yes iv heard "absolute gent of a man" being used for normal folk i have met.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

If a guy is fair and decent in his dealings and interactions with other people one might say he is a gentleman or a gent for short. Just another way of saying he is a sound guy or our as our friends across the pond might say something like hes a top bloke.

I really don't see anything that sinister about the expression to be fair. Its just a little way of paying a compliment to a guy who does a good turn or helps you out in some manner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

When someone does me a favour is about the only time I'd use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

He's usually dead

Advertisement