Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding fine ??

• 27-12-2012 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I was on the motorway going about. 80 over took on the right , kept going looked up seen a Garda car parked on the fly over , looked to my left and seen the sped was restricted because of road works to 60. Do people think I'd get a fine. ??

Please don't give out. 1 sick kid in the car my head was else where.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

No you won't get a fine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No you won't get a fine.

He/she might if it was on the M1 where there are currently restricted limits in place from J2 to J4, and vans constantly patrolling

Where was it OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Stheno wrote: »
    He/she might if it was on the M1 where there are currently restricted limits in place from J2 to J4, and vans constantly patrolling

Where was it OP?

But the OP mentioned no van, just a patrol car parked on the flyover bridge?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

But the OP mentioned no van, just a patrol car parked on the flyover bridge?

Excuse me George, I didn't see that!

Should be fine so, people have been getting nobbled by the vans on the M1 lately, not heard of cars though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

How long does it take for a fine to come through, I have a similar problem on road works but it was a GoSafe van. It’s been two weeks since, a sigh of relief every time the postman goes by

• Advertisement

DanWall wrote: »
    How long does it take for a fine to come through, I have a similar problem on road works but it was a GoSafe van. It’s been two weeks since, a sigh of relief every time the postman goes by

They've up to six months to summons you, but any penalty point offence came within a month of the date of the offence.*

*Note: I've only ever had one, and it came to nothing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

cathy01 wrote: »
    I was on the motorway going about. 80 over took on the right , kept going looked up seen a Garda car parked on the fly over , looked to my left and seen the sped was restricted because of road works to 60. Do people think I'd get a fine. ??

Who cares? Its a Fixed Penalty Notice and a couple points for speeding. Take it on the chin and move on if it ever happens.

My own view is I doubt very much doubt a FPN will reach you by what you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

It wasn't one of those vans with the blacked out window at the back . It was a Garda car but a bit bigger like a jeep . My hubbie thought they could be looking for drink drivers. ?? I have learnt a lesson to watch out better. .it was coming from clairhall roundabout then onto motorway heading towards BALBRIGGAN , they seem to be working on that road for a while . I should have seen it before but I was in a hurry to get home and wasn't looking for speed sighs . Ah I'm a dope.at least I lived and learned . Would be nice to think I won't get a fine. ?!?

It wasn't one of those vans with the blacked out window at the back . It was a Garda car but a bit bigger like a jeep . My hubbie thought they could be looking for drink drivers. ?? I have learnt a lesson to watch out better. .it was coming from clairhall roundabout then onto motorway heading towards BALBRIGGAN , they seem to be working on that road for a while . I should have seen it before but I was in a hurry to get home and wasn't looking for speed sighs . Ah I'm a dope.at least I lived and learned . Would be nice to think I won't get a fine. ?!?

They are always around there cathy due to the roadworks and the amount of crashes on that section as it splits from three lanes into two.

You should be ok, no guarantee, but I've only heard of people getting fines from the gosafe vans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

The council/NRA apply the limit, the Gardai/gosafe enforce it.

Where road works are taking place, the contractor might apply to the council for a reduction in speed limit. This will be advertised in the lcoal paper/national paper saying "the N17, Nxx, Nxx, will reduce in speed from XXX to XXX for a period of 12 months dating from XXX to facilitate works on the XXX motorway". The contractor will then have to go out and change the speed limit signs to reflect the order that has been granted. These signs will end in 0kph (60kph, 80kph). Do not confuse this with road works where the contractor may advise the motorist to slow down. This will end in 5 kph (35kph, 55kph) and cannot be enforced as mandatory speed limits. Go out tomorrow and drive the route and photo and signs warning of reduction in speed limits. May come in handy if the postman calls. Check out Chapter 8 TSRM (traffic signs and road manual) for further reading,

I stand to be corrected on this issue but AFAIK if you see a gardai with a hairdryer they have to persue you and issue you with an on the spot fine there and then. If you are caught by the go-safe van or the old Garda transit "gatso" van, they photograph your licence plate and will post it out to you in due course. Sometimes you get the gardai with the scanner which detects you reg number and scans a databse to see have you paid tax...again they have to follow you and issue you with an on the spot fine in this case. I say enjoy the xmas and don't be fretting.:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

ull be grand, mostly there scanning for valid tax and insurance, won't bother do ya for speeding and they have to do ya there and then and u were doing 80, ull be grand, not all gaurds are feckers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I hope you get a fine.

Just cos you said 'hubby'.

I jest of course, I hope you don't, and know you won't, just the word 'hubby' is a pet peeve of mine.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,322 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

No. You're sound. The Gardai have to pull you over. So you're safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Thanks all, I lived and learnt so no harm done.
    Cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

"1 sick kid in the car my head was else where"

not giving out, just saying....you should think twice about driving in these circumstances.....you need 100% of your head concentrated on driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

ottostreet wrote: »
    I hope you get a fine.

Just cos you said 'hubby'.

I jest of course, I hope you don't, and know you won't, just the word 'hubby' is a pet peeve of mine.

:p

Is that coz your boyfriend calls you hubby..? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Is that coz your boyfriend calls you hubby..? :D

Yes, clearly.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ascii wrote: »
    The council/NRA apply the limit, the Gardai/gosafe enforce it.

Where road works are taking place, the contractor might apply to the council for a reduction in speed limit. This will be advertised in the lcoal paper/national paper saying "the N17, Nxx, Nxx, will reduce in speed from XXX to XXX for a period of 12 months dating from XXX to facilitate works on the XXX motorway". The contractor will then have to go out and change the speed limit signs to reflect the order that has been granted. These signs will end in 0kph (60kph, 80kph). Do not confuse this with road works where the contractor may advise the motorist to slow down. This will end in 5 kph (35kph, 55kph) and cannot be enforced as mandatory speed limits. Go out tomorrow and drive the route and photo and signs warning of reduction in speed limits. May come in handy if the postman calls. Check out Chapter 8 TSRM (traffic signs and road manual) for further reading,

I stand to be corrected on this issue but AFAIK if you see a gardai with a hairdryer they have to persue you and issue you with an on the spot fine there and then. If you are caught by the go-safe van or the old Garda transit "gatso" van, they photograph your licence plate and will post it out to you in due course. Sometimes you get the gardai with the scanner which detects you reg number and scans a databse to see have you paid tax...again they have to follow you and issue you with an on the spot fine in this case. I say enjoy the xmas and don't be fretting.:D

Think its the same everywhere.

Sign with red circle around it = Speed Limit
    Sign without red circle around it = Advisory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

corktina wrote: »
    "1 sick kid in the car my head was else where"

not giving out, just saying....you should think twice about driving in these circumstances.....you need 100% of your head concentrated on driving

To be fair, if no one was to drive when there is something was on their mind, you would not fit on the bus. Cathy sounds like she was in full control. Just not aware of a temporory speed reduction. Perfectly excusable IMO.

Advertisement