Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Maps View of Ennis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Figerty

johnam wrote: »
    Just spotted this on Google Maps. Can anyone explain what it is? http://maps.google.com/?ll=52.845721,-8.962138&spn=0.007037,0.021136&t=w&z=16 It looks like the trees are a different colour, but why would anyone go to that much trouble to plant different trees in such a precise pattern?

A mercedes fan might!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nobody would go to that much trouble for trees

It doesn't even look like trees

Probably some bored young lad messing with tilled land.
    Sitting in a tractor talking to yourself all day can send you cracked

Might be a Mercedes fan but everyone knows a Zetor is better :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Nobody would go to that much trouble for trees

It doesn't even look like trees

Probably some bored young lad messing with tilled land.
    Sitting in a tractor talking to yourself all day can send you cracked

Might be a Mercedes fan but everyone knows a Zetor is better :cool:

From what I know of the area, the land to the left of the road marked "the lane" is all covered with Hazel Scrub. The picture seems to show that the area with the design has similar plants, but just planted more densely.

Driving a tractor in a perfect circle the exact with of the field and then dividing it into three equal sectors would take a fair bit of setting out and planning, not just a bored young lad in a tractor....even if it was a Zetor he was driving

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

It's obviously a peace sign, drawn by aliens.......on a Massy :D

Chucken wrote: »
    It's obviously a peace sign, drawn by aliens.......on a Massy :D

possibly correct on two counts..... but the not the peace sign, that has one more line. Close but no cigar Chucken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament symbol, I've it nearly finished, took a few days off over Christmas, I'll be back in the field tomorrow

johnam wrote: »
    possibly correct on two counts..... but the not the peace sign, that has one more line. Close but no cigar Chucken

So you think it was done by an alien on a massey :cool:

803258_8856_625x1000.jpg

So you think it was done by an alien on a massey :cool:

personally....no. I just didn't want to knock you on three counts. :P Still looking for an answer though.... beginning to think boards is going to let me down.:eek:

Be a nice little drive for someone up that way to give a look and let us know what its all about. It looks like trees ok. Someone up that way must know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

it's on bing maps too
    http://binged.it/YQNSCB

sorry no answer for you :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Interesting find Johnam, I'd love to know who did it and why.

Here is another view from bing maps

http://binged.it/U34tyq

and it wasn't there in 2005 :D
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,535275,677790,6,0

there ends my detective work :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Owner of that land most likely drew a CND sign.

Be a nice little drive for someone up that way to give a look and let us know what its all about. It looks like trees ok. Someone up that way must know what it is.

I used to live out that way, hence why I spotted it. The road marked "the lane" leads to a house which has peacocks roaming around the garden, (presumably for security....they make a racket if you go anywhere near). I think the field nearest the symbol is full of allotments, although again I am not sure. I know there are allotments out that direction somewhere. The pictures on Bing look like an allotment too.

ger664 wrote: »
    Owner of that land most likely drew a CND sign.

doubt he went to all that trouble and then forgot a line. 73d7edd1405081e5433c41d9ad2ee18c_XL.jpg

once I get an answer to this, I must set about looking for an answer on how to post a SMALLER image on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ulyssescohen

No idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Product placement advertising?

CptSternn wrote: »
    Product placement advertising?

quite possibly...it would be close enough to the flight path for Shannon. But there are no Mercedes dealerships nearby and I can't imagine Mercedes paying for some trees planted in the shape of their logo. so again back to the question why???

and it wasn't there in 2005 :D
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,535275,677790,6,0

there ends my detective work :pac:

Look closely again, I think it might be there alright, just the colours aren't clear. Could even have been just planted that year. Or I am going mad, which is another distinct possibility.

hhmm I know exactly what you mean, I see the outline, sort of ... maybe the trees had just been planted then and were really green and young.
    Maybe we're after too much chocolate the last few days and hallucinating. :)

• Advertisement

Would it be a way to divide the woods in some easy to see, easy to reach sections for the people with the allotments to pick hazelnuts or whatever fruit from ? Like allotments 1 and 2, section one, allotments 2 and 3, section 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I spoke to the owner previously about this. A friend was planning to fly over taking photos and they said they'd plant it. It's oak and beech if i recall correctly. He'd forgotten about it until I mentioned it, couldn't believe it was on google maps.

conZ wrote: »
    I spoke to the owner previously about this. A friend was planning to fly over taking photos and they said they'd plant it. It's oak and beech if i recall correctly. He'd forgotten about it until I mentioned it, couldn't believe it was on google maps.

See now I don't know whether or not to believe you!!:confused: That would be an awful lot of trees to plant for a photo. I mean ..... zoom out a bit and look, the circle is the width of Cusack Park, and that is only the circle, there is also another field or two around it planted as well. I want to believe you....but Chucken's Alien Theory has put doubts in my mind ....:rolleyes::p:rolleyes::p:rolleyes:;)

Advertisement