Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jehovah's Grinches

Options
  • 26-12-2012 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭

A funny thing happened to me on Christmas day.....

Two women arrived at the house, one all smiley and chatty, the other somewhat dour.

The Chatty One (seeing a Christmas tree with lights on it); "So you are celebrating Christmas in this house today?"

Me; Yes.

Chatty One (handing out some Jehovah's Witness jesus literature); Can I give you this, it contains some good ....

Me (interrupting) No thanks, I'm an atheist; that's all bull$hit to me.

Chatty One (dropping the smile); You're an atheist? And you're celebrating Christmas??

It was around noon, and oddly enough, the sun was lighting up the normally dark hallway like Newgrange is supposed to light up, so I pointed at the sun and exclaimed...
    Isn't that fantastic, its the ancient winter solstice celebration, the days are getting brighter, and sure all this stuff is pagan anyway, the Christmas tree, the decorations and lights, yule logs and all that.

Chatty One; I was going to tell you about that. That's why we don't celebrate Christmas.

Me; Sorry if I spoiled your punchline then.

The Quiet one; Lets go.

Me (shouting after them) MERRY CHRISTMAS

Great fun, I wish we had more crackpots visiting :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Great post.... my wife was brought up as a JW ....when I was younger I often defended them saying they were always willing to live by their beliefs however as I've gotten older I realised how fundamentalist their lives are.
    IMO all extreme beliefs are to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

IMO all extreme beliefs are to be avoided.

FYP :pac:

I can't believe that even the JWs are arrogant enough to knock on randomers' doors on XMAS DAY FFS! and harangue them about religion (I would regard knocking on my door and trying to hand me a leaflet as haranguing me. If I wanted to join your silly cult I'd be the one knocking on your door.)

If nothing else, are they too thick to realise that people are busy with getting dinner ready, last-minute tidying before the MiL from hell arrives, hyper kids, etc. etc. it is the WORST possible day to be hassling people.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

wow, you' re cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

drkpower wrote: »
    wow, you' re cool.

I am going to ignore any underlining sarcasm there and agree with you, the OP is indeed cool.

Didn't think they'd have the nerve to go door to door on Christmas. I guess the good work never ceases, eh?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

o1s1n wrote: »
    I guess the good work never ceases, eh?
    One can always hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

In fairness I can understand why some Christians (the JW's are a sect of xtianity right?) upon realising that they're actually taking part in pagan festivals rather than what they thought were christian ones might be upset and might find the need to warn other christians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

o1s1n wrote: »
    Didn't think they'd have the nerve to go door to door on Christmas. I guess the good work never ceases, eh?

No rest for the wicked (disillusioned), as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Philosophical video about the true meaning of Christmas, for JW's everywhere. Its not even about jesus; you gotta respect the holiday.

Advertisement