Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help

Options
  • 26-12-2012 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I just picked up a new condenser mic and I am having difficulties.

I am working a Rode NT 2a mic through a Focusrite 2i2 into my laptop and using ableton. I have selected the phantom power button on the interface.

I dont know what is causing the problem (mic, interface, software) but i cant get any sound from the condenser mic.

Other instruments work fine in the interface.

Can anyone help me out as Ive searched for hours but as i dont know what the problem is I dont know how to rectify it! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

coolhandc wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I just picked up a new condenser mic and I am having difficulties.

I am working a Rode NT 2a mic through a Focusrite 2i2 into my laptop and using ableton. I have selected the phantom power button on the interface.

I dont know what is causing the problem (mic, interface, software) but i cant get any sound from the condenser mic.

Other instruments work fine in the interface.

Can anyone help me out as Ive searched for hours but as i dont know what the problem is I dont know how to rectify it! Thanks

Since all other inputs work fine, i would check if mic cable is ok before looking further. Try another cable and see if it works. Nice looking interface btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

Are you using an XLR to XLR cable. An XLR to Jack cable won't work.

If it is an XLR to XLR cable then maybe there is 1 pin gone in the cable as a condenser requires all 3 pins to work. A dynamic mic will still work with a pin gone but will have reduced output and be noiser, though a short cable run you might not notice the difference without A/Bing it with another cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

thanks a mil for taking the time to reply folks.

I decided to bring all of my gear into x music today and we were able to test everything out and we have now established that it is a software issue with the focusrite interface so I am going to email them to see if they can help.

I cannot speak any higher about x music they are fantastic!

Advertisement