Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sniping/Stalking ?

Options
  • 26-12-2012 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Any tips on how to break up the shape of your body for a stalk ?
    besides camoing the face,helmet,webbing is there any more you can do ?
    heard something before about using bycycle tyres or something like that ? around your knees and elbows so you could camo them up and further break up the shape .. have any of ye heard or done this or any tips ?
    any helpful feedback appreciated
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

heard something before about using bycycle tyres or something like that ? around your knees and elbows so you could camo them up and further break up the shape .. have any of ye heard or done this or any tips ?
    thanks

Who are you planning to murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

14027.jpeg

Tip No 1. Don't move.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ricky_spanish

ha that pic was quality !
    @goldiefish its for a criteria exercise in recruit training

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Some small things we used do or obey were if you stalkingwere don't use camo that came from above head height.
    An extreme example would be someone cammoed in say horse chestnut leaves. A good eye would spot that inconsistency.
    In field craft they say nature gives no straight lines or curves so after you adhere to that and camo up to your surroundings your doing well. Lazy people always show up in these lessons. A good gillie suit is a real speed saver.
    Depending on your situation don't over do it. You got to be able to run away or indeed forward :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

ha that pic was quality !
    @goldiefish its for a criteria exercise in recruit training

If you are instructing, you should already know. All the esses.
    If you are learning, then you are just gonna be a smartass heatseeker and everyone will hate you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Just use what you have been taught or else improvise and adapt. If you cant do that then you are fcucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

heard something before about using bycycle tyres or something like that ? around your knees and elbows so you could camo them up and further break up the shape .. have any of ye heard or done this or any tips ? any helpful feedback appreciated
    thanks

I just tried that and found that they were way too big to go around my waist, let alone my knees and elbows...

Also that putting them back on the wheels before the owners found out was quite tricky. Or have I got it wrong, and you leave them on the wheels?

Wouldn't using items like this rather draw attention to you, rather than hide you or serve to break up your outline? Mind you, the target might be laffing so much at you that the REAL sniper could walk up behind him and hit him on the head with a LBO.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The trick is to not dress as a sniper, the target is on high alert for a sniper but not a French maid for example.

The trick is to not dress as a sniper, the target is on high alert for a sniper but not a French maid for example.

A large bird might be more suitable - an emu, perhaps. At least it's wildlife, of a kind, and not altogether out of place.

Mind you, in an urban environment, neither the emu nor the Ghillie would be appropriate. Like my old pal Colin, who used to work for Bord Fáilte, wistfully remarked to me one day as we walked along Grafton Street. 'People overlook my Donegal accent and only remember that I'm black'.:cool:

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

tac foley wrote: »
    I just tried that and found that they were way too big to go around my waist, let alone my knees and elbows...

Also that putting them back on the wheels before the owners found out was quite tricky. Or have I got it wrong, and you leave them on the wheels?

Wouldn't using items like this rather draw attention to you, rather than hide you or serve to break up your outline? Mind you, the target might be laffing so much at you that the REAL sniper could walk up behind him and hit him on the head with a LBO.

tac
    I find these are only any good when you are trying to blend in to a stand of rubber trees, not too many around this neck of the woods:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Dress up like a bicycle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Morpheus wrote: »
    Dress up like a bicycle?

Have tried it but only really works on roads and you have to stay really still since a bike moving by itself attracts attention. For countryside best to dress up as a cow or maybe a cow on a bicycle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

thanks
    Make a ghillie suit;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The inner tubes is a old trick from the late 80's early 90's. Cut them up into big elastic bands and place them on your gear and body and use them to fix foliage to yourself.

We had to carry at least 6 in our webbing and one on our helmet which was before the elastic helmet covers.

Other ideas we used, sew loops into webbing and combats.

I am surprised as when I was leaving the forces most kit had loops built in.

krissovo wrote: »
    The inner tubes is a old trick from the late 80's early 90's. Cut them up into big elastic bands and place them on your gear and body and use them to fix foliage to yourself.

For Goodness' sake don't let the bikes' owners catch you cutting bits out of their tyres. It could easily lead to at least two other military skills being exercised -

1. escape and evasion, and

2. resistance to interrogation.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Or an impromptu bout of milling.

Advertisement