Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player not working

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

Working fine here.

Problem must be your end.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dynamo Roller1

ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I can't play any RTE player files.

I don't think it works with Windows 8 which I recently upgraded to

I tried chrome and IE and nothing, using win 7

Ok I disabled all my extensions in chrome and used ccleaner to tidy up the cache and such. works fine now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

murpho999 wrote: »
    I can't play any RTE player files.

I don't think it works with Windows 8 which I recently upgraded to

Works fine for me on both Win8 IE10 and Chrome.

I've noticed that having an ad block addin on in Chrome causes it to fail for me though so could be that!

ya the adblock was probably the culprit alright, they don't seem to be able to prevent the visual ads anymore either which seems to prevent the video loading at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Some VPNs are also now blocking rte player and aertv.ie. I have found that when I disabled mine the worked fine. I was using a DNS vpn service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Anyone having trouble viewing it on the PS3. I can only watch a handful of shows compared to what i can watch on my laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I can only use RTE player with IE, it won't work with chrome or Firefox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Can't seem to get it to work on chrome or firefox either, but it's working on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

ScumLord wrote: »
    I can only use RTE player with IE, it won't work with chrome or Firefox.

What, if any, add-ons are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Its the ad block extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

I have ad block but funnily enough can view the 30 sec ads before a programme starts then nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

ya the adblock was probably the culprit alright, they don't seem to be able to prevent the visual ads anymore either which seems to prevent the video loading at all.

adfree android seems to block the playing of rte player as well!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

corkie wrote: »
    adfree android seems to block the playing of rte player as well!

Yeah, I can verify that ad-blockers are getting in the way for me as well. Hope we can get a workaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

briany wrote: »
    Yeah, I can verify that ad-blockers are getting in the way for me as well. Hope we can get a workaround.

When using chrome you can exempt RTE player:

Click the Adblock logo (stop sign) in top right corner of chrome.

Select "Don't run on pages on this domain"

Then slide the slider until "http://www.rte.ie/player/*" is highlighted.

Click "exclude", and RTE player will work fine on chrome and Adblock still works on all other websites.

Cionád wrote: »
    When using chrome you can exempt RTE player:

Click the Adblock logo (stop sign) in top right corner of chrome.

Select "Don't run on pages on this domain"

Then slide the slider until "http://www.rte.ie/player/*" is highlighted.

Click "exclude", and RTE player will work fine on chrome and Adblock still works on all other websites.

Thanks for that but I had exempted RTE as soon as I realised it was the ad blocker. When I said workaround, I meant no ads and we could still use the RTE player. A cake and eat it scenario.....like in the good old days..*sniff*

Still, a useful enough solution for now for anyone stuck with this issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hmm, hasn't been working for me, either. Just seems to stall like a beachball on a Mac except within the player, and adblock appears to be the culprit.

I hope RTE don't catch wind of this workaround...

Installing Ghostery on FF solved the issue for me even with adblock enabled. Videos play but the ads do not. I set it to disable all trackers and it worked as good as before. I tested it on Eastenders with the same result and again with Ghostery disabled. This time the ads played but upon re-enabling Ghostery, they did not and only the video played as before. So there you have it, however I don't know if this worked for anyone else yet so someone try it please and share your findings. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Switched off adblock and it is working - thanks

Advertisement