Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 World Junior Championships

Options
  • 25-12-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

The puck drops on these early tomorrow morning, with the betting looking like this:

Canada 7/5
    Russia 9/4
    Sweden 15/4
    USA 9/2
    Finland 13/2
    Czech Republic 35/1
    Switzerland 125/1
    Slovakia 150/1
    Germany 250/1
    Latvia 500/1

The groups in the 'Top Division' are round-robin, with each team playing the other teams in their group once. The winner of each group go directly to the semi-finals, whilst the 2nd and 3rd placed teams go to the quarter-finals. The four teams that finish in 4th and 5th then have a relegation playoff, with the bottom team being relegated to Division I for next year. The groups are divided as follows:

Group A: Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Switzerland and Latvia
    Group B: Russia, Canada, Slovakia, USA and Germany

In the pre-tournament games, Finland beat both the US (5-1) and Canada (3-2), with both of those teams narrowly beating Sweden also.

The four games for tomorrow should be straightforward victories, I would imagine, with the Sweden and Czech Republic game probably being the pick of the bunch. Interestingly, Canada have won the tournament on the two previous occassions that the league was locked out, and with Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau, McKinnon and Scheifele on their roster, they look very strong in the forwards. Will also be good to see how Russia perform at home, and good to finally see Nail Yakupov.

Finland vs Latvia 7:30 AM
    Canada vs Germany 9:30 AM
    Sweden vs Czech Republic 12:00 PM
    Russia vs Slovakia 2:00 PM

Unfortunately it doesn't seem as though this is being covered on television in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 goblininsane

Anyone aware of online access to watching the games or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Anyone aware of online access to watching the games or anything.

Please don't reply with any illegal streams. As far as I'm aware it is impossible to watch these games online, legally, at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

USA V Sweden in the final. USA beat a much fancied Canada 5-1 and Sweden beat Russia 3-2 in a SO. USA are favourites due to their heavy scoring throughout the tournament but I fancy Sweden to pip them in a tight game.

• Advertisement

Watched a re-run of the Canada v USA semi-final last night, Canada were terrible. So many things just didn't click for them and the US were ready to pounce. Was hoping for a Canada v Russia final, but instead it's the 3rd place game.

Looking forward to the US and Sweden final though, tough one to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

where are watching this

Phoenix wrote: »
    Canada unlucky today,Russia got bronze,anyone watching USA vs Sweden?

I watched it. Deserved gold for USA.

Gibson is a cracking goaltender, Grimaldi came up big and Gaudreau and Trouba look to have great careers ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Great win for the USA. Congratulations to Phil Housely and Team USA on an outstanding medal round.

What to say about Canada ? This is a monumental disappointment in this tournament. If you would have told me that Canada would not medal in an NHL lockout year, I would have thought you were daft. Words do not do this justice. There simply are no excuses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement