Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An image of Hell. Of sorts...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What's an atheist agenda? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You're seriously losing it lately dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Of course it could be twisted to suit an atheist agenda but if you can see the stark contrast (and imagine the environment that would welcome the darkness) then it is there. In a nutshell.
    i can see *something* in a nutshell, but i don't think it's an atheist agenda (if there even was one).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Came across this and it struck me somehow: the contrast between the significance of light versus what happens when the light goes out. Cold. Bleak.

Of course it could be twisted to suit an atheist agenda but if you can see the stark contrast (and imagine the environment that would welcome the darkness) then it is there. In a nutshell.

1274465753023.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I think antiskeptic is trying to say his idea of hell is watching Barack Obama hug his wife. Or possibly seeing Jamaica win things at the Olympics. Or Watching Rebekkah Brookes get into a car. I could be wrong, he's being even vaguer than usual here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Floods, blackouts, horsemen riding through fire, Muslims with laser burqas. It's just like Revelations predicted.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I have noticed that frequently on Boards when anyone says something or gives a belief or opinion that may not fit with someone else's view of life - they are automatically accused of having 'an agenda'

In this case we have what I am presuming is a monotheist declaring that images showing the human condition somehow has an 'Atheist Agenda'

Now having looked it up...

- Agenda (meeting), points to be discussed; sometimes refers to the list of topics itself
    - Political agenda, the set of goals of an ideological group; also used as above, the topics under discussion by a government

Maybe 'agenda' accusers' should take note for clarification purposes.

Makes the mind boggle tbh...,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Of course it could be twisted to suit an atheist agenda...
    [/URL]

2N121218JHy191215Q9eQ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Like a menu, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Came across this and it struck me somehow: the contrast between the significance of light versus what happens when the light goes out. Cold. Bleak.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/interactive/2012/dec/25/best-photographs-2012-in-pictures
    Are you drunk?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd love to know antiskpetic what point you're tying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Dades wrote: »
    I'd love to know antiskpetic what point you're tying to make.

Can I ask him on this thread about his wife meeting the Lord? Or would that be off-topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

MrPudding wrote: »
    Are you drunk?

MrP

Methinks he may have imbibed too much of Jeebus' blood in church today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Came across this and it struck me somehow: the contrast between the significance of light versus what happens when the light goes out.
    You're absolutely right, when the electricity goes off, it gets dark, but when electricity doesn't go off, it's light. Well done, bravo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

the contrast between the significance of light versus what happens when the light goes out. Cold. Bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

pauldla wrote: »

Can I ask him on this thread about his wife meeting the Lord? Or would that be off-topic?

It's hard to say if there is a topic to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Gordon wrote: »
    You're absolutely right, when the electricity goes off, it gets dark, but when electricity doesn't go off, it's light. Well done, bravo!

It makes sense to me: there's the warm, calming, welcoming light which is created by man and his sciences, and then there's the dark, which the Christian God caused by destroying the light with a mighty storm, and which brought fear, terror, loss and looters. So..... actually, I have no idea what his point is.... God wants us all plunged into darkness, terrified that we're going to die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Fear of death is what religions are relying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Came across this and it struck me somehow: the contrast between the significance of light versus what happens when the light goes out.

Yes, and it struck photographers and editors long before you, lovely piece you linked there, if it made you feel anything it's because some people are great at their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

kylith wrote: »

It makes sense to me: there's the warm, calming, welcoming light which is created by man and his sciences, and then there's the dark, which the Christian God caused by destroying the light with a mighty storm, and which brought fear, terror, loss and looters. So..... actually, I have no idea what his point is.... God wants us all plunged into darkness, terrified that we're going to die?

That's just twisting it to suit the atheist agenda. Well, more twisting it back to its normal shape after antiskeptic twisted it to suit his agenda, but that doesn't count because god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

The video I posted will hopefully somewhat challenge this perspective on what the concept of darkness means, especially in contradistinction the concept of light & brightness, hopefully leading to a personal revelation in the form of looking into that which, on the surface, seems bleak/dark/negative/black... & looking for what you've unconsciously linked with bright/pure/whiteness (nary I'd say it'd even engender such a sea change in your interpersonal relationships if you were willing to let it be so). But if such depths are too far out of reach we can always analyze the "significance of light" exemplified in the Obama 'hug' picture, for example, & ask how pure such brightness really is & what it says about looking into that which, on the surface, seems bright/pure/whiteness [let alone what it says about that which, on the surface, seems bleak/dark/negative/black]...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] what happens when the light goes out. Cold. Bleak.
    Have you tried turning on a heater?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If there's an image of hell there it's the one from Aleppo.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Newaglish wrote: »
    It's hard to say if there is a topic to begin with

Indeed. In such case, I cannot be accused of dragging the thread off-topic with irrelevancies. Not that I consider an encounter with the Lord himself irrelevant: I think it is central to any further post that antiskepic might make, no matter what the topic, and I hope for clarification from him on the matter. One lives in hope, I suppose.

Advertisement