Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you working this Christmas?

Options
  • 25-12-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭

Anyone here in work today or over the Christmas period? And what do you do/where do you work?

I'm off today but back in tomorrow for a 4am start (up at 2.30am) :( It's 4am starts all the way to Saturday with me.

The joys of working shift in the airport!! And no, I don't even get a shift allowance or anything, it's just another day for me :mad: :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Does taking turns scratching each ball count as work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

In work now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    In work now. :(

:( What do you do that has you in today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Only in from work now after a late night shift. Almost 6.45am here now. Off for the rest of the day but I'm on call. So hope nothing major happens. The joys of working for the US Government. Potential 365 days year 24 hours a day job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

In work right now and honestly don't see the big deal, in since 8am and will be here till 8pm, I miss out on the dinner.
    I love Christmas aswell but Christmas day is just..the pits.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Only in from work now after a late night shift. Almost 6.45am here now. Off for the rest of the day but I'm on call. So hope nothing major happens. The joys of working for the US Government. Potential 365 days year 24 hours a day job.

You do know theyre watchn you dont you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

was working yesterday (christmas eve) until 3pm- in day after St. Stephens at 10am for a 24hour shift, then am working New Years night
    its a pain as these are all the nights that me and my friends usually head out
    other than that- its just work

sfwcork wrote: »

You do know theyre watchn you dont you!

Ah we're not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Sister is working today, so we wont get to see her until tomorrow! Glories of nursing I guess! Not the same without her, but I guess its better then what some people have with family/friends in Australia/Canada and the likes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

been working since 5am. couldn't sleep last night for some odd reason so I've been awake since midnight :(
    Driving home from Cork to Clonmel now in 25 mins.. Thank god! Dad is going to have a beer waiting for me in hand at the door!

/love Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

This is my first day off since the 28th of November.

Excuse me, I'm a little drunkl.

A big drunk actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Ah we're not that bad.

You 5 0?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Yup working too.

But it's in Malta so there's a silver lining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I was working yesterday, but I'm off now...for the first time since 2004. Well...there is no such thing as weekends or public holidays, when you work in the health sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Worked yesterday and working tomorrow.

Shops, bars etc open here today.

kraggy wrote: »
    Worked yesterday and working tomorrow.

Shops, bars etc open here today.
    My brother's in Seoul too, he said it's freezing over there, -10 and windy. It's funny you never associate Korea with weather like that, it's a big world and a small world at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

My girlfriend was lucky enough to get this christmas off (she is a nurse in a Dublin hospital). We live in Cork and if she was working over Christmas she would have been working all week so wouldnt have been able to come home.

To those who have to work today, thank you for keeping the country going and keeping us safe while we selfishly gorge on food and drink. Without people working on Christmas we wouldnt be able to enjoy ANY of the luxuries we are so used to enjoying on Christmas.

To any nurses who may be reading. Thank you for working so bloody hard for those who are unfortunate enough to have to spend christmas in hospital. You're a group of workers who are not given enough appriciation for the extremely tough job you do. I hope you all get to see your families soon. Im so grateful that my girlfriend was able to come home this year but I know she will have to work next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yup working too.

But it's in Malta so there's a silver lining :)

How's things in Malta? I've been living there since September but am home for the Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Work at 9 tonight till 7 tomorrow morning, then back in at half 3 until 11. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Working this morning for a few hours. But I love my job and there are no kids in my family so was happy to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Working all over Xmas and new year. Was working this morning, off tomorrow, then not off again till the 30th and 31st.

Work in the Private Health Service, and usally 12 hour shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I worked until 3am this morning and I'm back in work on Thursday. I don't mind to be honest. Christmas Day and Stephen's Day off so I'm cool with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Working yesterday and will be working another normal day tomorrow. Back to the grind after that

Swampy wrote: »

You 5 0?

Something like that. Crimes against children unit. It's national rather than local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Where To wrote: »
    My brother's in Seoul too, he said it's freezing over there, -10 and windy. It's funny you never associate Korea with weather like that, it's a big world and a small world at the same time.

It's -15 here now. Cold as hell.

Where's your brother from and what are his initials? I probably know him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Finished a 24 hr shift at 0900 this morning. Got home around 1030....off until friday yaaay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Something like that. Crimes against children unit. It's national rather than local.

Good man. I'd say that is probably one of the hardest jobs to deal with. Fair play.

kraggy wrote: »

It's -15 here now. Cold as hell.

Where's your brother from and what are his initials? I probably know him.
    He's from Donegal, he's only there short term, works for Ericsson, he was in Tokyo last week and Switzerland the week before, he doesn't stay anywhere long enough to get to know people very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Elessar wrote: »
    :( What do you do that has you in today?

Shift work (12hrs), the place here is open 24/7. Im off til the 3rd though so im as happy as a bunny at this stage.

• Advertisement

Swampy wrote: »

Good man. I'd say that is probably one of the hardest jobs to deal with. Fair play.

Thanks. It can be tough. Especially with events like the recent tragedy. Can also be very rewarding. However way more paper work and court sit ins than portrayed in the movies.

Advertisement