Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begovic v's Jaaskelainen

Options
  • 24-12-2012 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this deserves a whole thread but I'm, like a lot of people on boards, are getting the Jussi/Begovic combination wrong most if the time. It seems if you just stuck with one keeper the whole time you'd be better off rather than picking the one who has the better fixture.

Last year I think I only had Vorm in goal for a big chunk of the season, and it worked out pretty well. My other keeper was injured for a lot of the season.

So do you think you're better off having one good keeper in goals every week and a cheapie on the bench or having two decent keepers and trying to guess which one will get the cleansheet?? I've had both from the start

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

Points wise I don't know. But from a sake of sanity just having one good one means you wont be second guessing yourself even if ur keeper does crap

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

I think its good to have a primary keeper but I do like to have a rotation choice as well. I usually go by the opponent's goalscoring potential when choosing. For example Everton have scored in all their games this season bar one so I went for Jussi last week and then Bego this week. Used similar tactics with Vorm/Krul last season which worked out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

i think i'm gonna cash in on jussi, i've had him since the start so would get 4.9 for him, if i sell him for bunn of norwich i gain .9 (if i did it today, .8 after today)
    i could use that extra money and also remove some headache's, for all the points jussi and begovic have got i haven't really benefited from it because i nearly always get it wrong.
    I think i'll stick with begovic from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hogey007 wrote: »
    i think i'm gonna cash in on jussi, i've had him since the start so would get 4.9 for him, if i sell him for bunn of norwich i gain .9 (if i did it today, .8 after today)
    i could use that extra money and also remove some headache's, for all the points jussi and begovic have got i haven't really benefited from it because i nearly always get it wrong.
    I think i'll stick with begovic from now.

Im thinking the exact same as you its doing my head in, both of them have been class but I must have benched the wrong one atleast 6/7 times. The other option im considering is selling both of them Ill get 10 million(1 million profit) and getting cech 6.5 and a 4mill keeper and play cech every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

thunderdog wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this deserves a whole thread but I'm, like a lot of people on boards, are getting the Jussi/Begovic combination wrong most if the time. It seems if you just stuck with one keeper the whole time you'd be better off rather than picking the one who has the better fixture.

Last year I think I only had Vorm in goal for a big chunk of the season, and it worked out pretty well. My other keeper was injured for a lot of the season.

So do you think you're better off having one good keeper in goals every week and a cheapie on the bench or having two decent keepers and trying to guess which one will get the cleansheet?? I've had both from the start

That's good food for thought. I was in the same boat last year, I just had Vorm and my other goalkeeper was a perennial bench warmer. That meant that Vorm played in a lot of fixtures that looked like a potential 2-pointer, but came out with an unexpected big haul. I think there are loads of us with headaches every week about Jussi vs. Begovic, and every week for the last month or so I've picked the wrong one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Begovic is my number 1. I've opted to Jussi only when Stoke are away to sides like United, Chelsea/

West Ham have some potential for clean sheets coming up though, might give Jussi some games.

Might go Jussi >> Guzan with my wildcard unless Guza's price rises .2 or .3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

have had jussi since the very start... him and ruddy were a great combo but ruddy doesnt seem to be on his way back anytime soon so i shipped him out for guzan of villa this gw.

i cant afford begovic now but had plans near the start to bring him in after a certain gw but the emergence of other players like michu etc meant he was out of my reach.

im happy with jussi anyway, proper value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

have had jussi since the very start... him and ruddy were a great combo but ruddy doesnt seem to be on his way back anytime soon so i shipped him out for guzan of villa this gw.

i cant afford begovic now but had plans near the start to bring him in after a certain gw but the emergence of other players like michu etc meant he was out of my reach.

im happy with jussi anyway, proper value.

But they both cost the same at the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

But they both cost the same at the start?

Ruddy had better fixtures at the start and also rotated well with jussi...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭theRB

You should think about picking up Mignolet. Even when he doesn't keep a clean sheet, he usually makes plenty of saves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

theRB wrote: »
    You should think about picking up Mignolet. Even when he doesn't keep a clean sheet, he usually makes plenty of saves.

Price going up soon too so act quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I've been playing just 1 strong permanent keeper and cheap backup to make up the numbers.

Have had Begovic for the last while but just played my WC and swapped for Jaaskelainen. Main reasons is Stoke are up against Chelsea on GW22 and West Ham have a double GW23 (incl QPR). Can review in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jolim24601

theRB wrote: »

He's been an excellent keeper. I second this suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I cashed in on Jaask. Sticking with Begovic for a while, and currently have £4m for a back up keeper. Any cash I make during the WC will go on increasing this figure, hopefully I can get to £4.3 and afford Federici, although he looks set to rise to £4.4 over the next week.

I might even go nuts and buy a £3.9m keeper who won't play. At the end of the day other than Federici all the keepers at this end are either sh*t or don't play. So unless Begovic gets injured I won't use them, and even if he did get injured (which is unlikely), these keepers so bad that it's likely they will only pick you up 1 point or possibly even a minus figure!

So there's an argument for buying a £3.9m sub keeper and using the cash elsewhere. Chances are it will only cost you a point or two IF you ever even use them.

EDIT: Just to add, Cech appears to be injured, no idea for how long yet, but at £4.3m Turnbull is a good option as a sub keeper. Stoke have Chelsea up next, and Arsenal (A) at the start of February, two games where they are unlikely to keep a clean sheet. Chelsea have good fixtures in January and if Cech looks likely to miss a few games Turnbull could be worth the gamble.

Im definetely selling these two have had them since the start just waiting for begovic to reach 5.9 this week. Anyone any opinions on Szecsney 5.3 and turnbull 4.3 with the two DGWs in mind. Going forward could stick with Szecsney or switch to De Gea.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Im definetely selling these two have had them since the start just waiting for begovic to reach 5.9 this week. Anyone any opinions on Szecsney 5.3 and turnbull 4.3 with the two DGWs in mind. Going forward could stick with Szecsney or switch to De Gea.

De Gea being linked with moves all over the media. I can't see one happening but I think Lindegaard is his biggest threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Any more news on Turnbull/Cech situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Took out Jaask and Mignolet and have Federici as the cheap option. Trying to decide between De Gea and Sczesny. Might wind up with Ches for the DGW but De Gea would be a really good long term option if he's going to remain first choice. Getting rid of Jaask may have been rash but I was able to invest in other areas so no big problem.

Advertisement