Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei B683 and avoiding double NAT

Options
  • 24-12-2012 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I recently installed an unlocked Huawei B683 router on 3's network. The box has 4 Ethernet ports, unfortunately they are fast Ethernet only, not Gigabit. The rest of my network sits behind another router (an RT-N16 running Tomato) with gigabit ports and with a static route on this providing WAN (Internet) access.

I wish to make a network storage box that is currently behind the internal router accessible from a public Internet addresses and later may want to run a VPN link to the RT-N16.

In a similar before, when I was on a DSL, connection I was able to put the WAN router into (true) bridged mode and put a gigabit router / switch behind it.

Has anyone done this with a B683? How? Is a static IP required? What about putting the internal router in the DMZ? This would solve the need to forward ports twice but I suspect it is not enough for VPN.

Comments or advice? Thanks

BTW appreciate if anyone using a 3 B683 could post their settings for

Preferred Mode: 3G&2G,3G,2G
    Band:WCDMA900,GSM900/1800,WCDMA2100,GSM1900,All Bands
    Searching network: Auto,Manual

My current settings are indicated in bold.

Advertisement